Cat Deterrent Talk.? All post of this nature in this thread only.. Humane talk only please.!

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by Marley Farley, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Gizmo

Gizmo Gardener

Ratings:
    +849
    I tried vinger on the fence and cat stop Pro made no difference to neighbours cats. I go in the garden and walk in cat poop. I like cats but not doing there business in our garden and dig up plants etc.
    Someone said about thorns from rose Bush not tried. It though

2. Logan

Logan Total Gardener

housewife
    Ratings:
    +43,795
    I read somewhere that if the person gets a cat it will stop other cats from coming in. But they have to make sure that there cat does it in a litter tray.

Got to think of the wild animals that come in to the garden, we get hedgehogs and the birds, some people get Foxes and badgers.

• Agree Agree x 3
      Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
    • Pushkin

Pushkin Super Gardener

Gardener
      Ratings:
      +1,220
      I recently renovated my strawberry patch.
      Removed all the plants, dug it over and added compost.
      Re-planted the strawberry plants.

Every morning a cat dug it up.
      Then I tried something.
      I had made up a mixture of Neem Oil spray to keep slugs and snails off my hostas.
      I sprayed this over the soil around the Strawberry plants.

Three days later not a single cat hole.

• Like Like x 3
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Creative Creative x 1
      • Gizmo

Gizmo Gardener

Ratings:
        +849
        we are stressed up about our neighbours cats and tried different sonic alarms , lion dun , different plants as a deterrant .. we walk into our garden and step in cat poop , they dig up plants that we put in we have spent hundreds of pounds in trying to stop these pessky cats .
        the only think we can think of trying is a plant call penny royal but it is posion and we have a dog i am not sure what else to do really as i dont want to hurt the cats but with all the cats in our area its only the ones from next door that damage our garden and what we have noticed is that all though they have 8 cats none have collars

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Living in hope of world wide peace.
          Ratings:
          +54,365
          • Informative Informative x 2
          • Gizmo

Gizmo Gardener

Ratings:
            +849
            thanks but we are at the end of what we can do we have even spoken to the local council about the issue and they said that they cannot get involved

• Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
              Ratings:
              +31,466
              A strong garlic spray works for dogs but you could try it for cats, Get a glove of garlic, chop up into small bit and put into a big plasic bottle(6 pint milk bottle etc) leave for a few days to get smelly then strain into sprayer and spray every where you can, may work for cats but not sure

• Like Like x 2
              • Gizmo

Gizmo Gardener

Ratings:
                +849
                thanks but what i find with sprays is that you have to keep at them due to weather conditions

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
                  +45,635
                  I use that same garlic spray as a slug deterrent on Hostas and it works well, yes it needs repeat spraying especially after rain but is worth persisting.

How about giving up a small patch of garden, add cat litter then at least the poo will just be in one area.

• Gizmo

Gizmo Gardener

Ratings:
                  +849
                  thanks for your reply but it is our garden not next door cats i am not going to invite cats when we are trying our best to keep them out ..
                  they have there own litter box .. how would the cats like it if we put dog poo in there garden ?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                  • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
                    Ratings:
                    +20,951
                    Have a serious chat with your dog about failing to keep the cats away.
                    You could try stringing some old CDs or bits of tinfoil across the beds.

• Agree Agree x 2
                    • Gizmo

Gizmo Gardener

Ratings:
                      +849
                      Thanks for the reply we have spent £ hundreds of pounds in trying different things for cats. Why should some one have to in cage there garden to keep cats out if they want to have a wildlife garden.
                      The cats are just coming over from next door the owners don't seem to care how much we spend in order to keep there cats away. This is why we are fed up and stressed. So if they come in our garden we shout and shoo them of and yet we are the ones who get moaned at.. So we have no option. IMG_20210430_154512.jpg

• ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                      +4,184
                      @Gizmo - Would have thought you had an outdoor tap being such a gardener and pond keeper ??

Assume your kitchen also overlooks the garden where you attach a hose pipe to though the window ?

If you are so concerned about the cats and have spent so much money we would strongly suggest you get one of these pir scarers.
                      We have used them for several years, they run off batteries and when activated not only does it give a short burst of water but the mechanism also clatters which also disturbs them.
                      The water is just connected to some good quality hose and fittings and we have ours in a large pot weighed down with brick on the patio.

Typically after a few weeks in use they avoid the garden , just walking along the top of the fence, not daring to come down.

Fitting an outdoor tap should not cost that much, though do get several quotes, we would not pay anyone over £100, as long as you do have a nearby water pipe inside.
                      The materials should be less that £20 as you can buy a diy garden tap kit for that, but probably thats not a diy job for you as it needs a hole drilling though the wall etc etc.

000604.jpg
                      Jet Spray Cat Repeller By PestBye® £24.99

• Like Like x 4
                      • Gizmo

Gizmo Gardener

Ratings:
                        +849
                        Thanks for the reply unfortunately we have no outside tap for the garden. We do use hose from kitchen window to water plants. The picture I posted is from the kitchen unfortunately we are in a council property so I expect we would need permission but when I spoke to council this morning they advised they cannot interfere as cats are a free spirt to do what they want
                        As you see from the picture the flower and veg box are incaged as they kept on digging they still come in and we walk in poop

• ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                        +4,184
                        No, nothing the council or others can do about cats visiting anyones garden.
                        ( though have to say Cats are always attracted to ponds and the birds and creatures that use the pond)

Cannot imagine any council would stop an outside tap being installed if done properly, so many folk have them these days.

Give your council an email and ask them, stating you would use a registered plumber or one they approve / recommend, their email reply is the written evidence you need.

Just do not use Joe Bloggs or Fred down the road, as that could cause problems if there was a water leak.

• Like Like x 2
                        • Agree Agree x 1