Cat Deterrent Talk.? All post of this nature in this thread only.. Humane talk only please.!

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by Marley Farley, Feb 25, 2013.

1. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,184
    Hi,

Have used one of those, very effective, only need to run it when a new cat is around as the others have learnt to avoid our small garden

It runs in 2 parts.

You have the PIR detector that operates from replacable batteries.
    That turns on the water flow for approx 5 seconds.
    Its connected to a hose from an outside tap, normally.
    If the water is tuned off at source, the PIR will still operate ok, just no waterflow.

As well as the water jet, the oscillating mechanism makes a quiet loud rattle sound which also to deter the cats. We aim ours so the water spray a couple of feet above ground level, not direct at the cats.
    In use if the PIR is facing the sun it may trigger falsely, so direct it the other way.
    You can adjust the spray pattern and PIR sensitivity etc.

Nothing to stop you running a hose from indoors but always the risk of it leaking or blowing off in the house, causing a mess.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
      Ratings:
      +30,478
      I tested one of those for one of our large box store chains and I assessed it as quite efficient. They DO work. Got me a couple of times too :rolleyespink:

• Like Like x 2
      • Funny Funny x 2
      • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +52,317
        Our dear, late Armandii had a high chicken wire fence all round his garden which he said kept his cats in and others out. He fixed it slightly slack as cats didn't like it when it wobbled.

• Like Like x 3
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +4,184
          Know exactly what you mean - ours is positioned quiet high, soggy bottom too many times !:biggrin::biggrin:

• Funny Funny x 4
          • CanadianLori

Battle Axe
            Ratings:
            +30,478
            So, @Gizmo , you could purchase a couple of cheap fittings to hook a garden hose to your kitchen faucet and give the little wonders a spritz until they give up. From what I understand you don't have insect screens on your windows so having a window slightly open would accomodate that set up.

In my town, cats are not allowed to wander. They must be sequestered in their owner's property or on a leash.

I grow cat mint for friends as I love moggies but have allergies.

• Like Like x 3
            • Informative Informative x 1
            • Gizmo

Gizmo Gardener

Ratings:
              +849
              Thanks for the advice.. What I was thinking of was more than one sprayer eg 1 at each end of the garden but only 1 tap outside with a switch or lever inside of the property and wondered if you could get a double hose attachment for a single outside tap.. I don't want to leave window open or get wet when we go out in the garden.. When we go out in the garden the white cats do go along the shared fence which is not a problem it's when they decide to come in when we are not in the garden..

• NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
              Ratings:
              +20,952
              I think I would start with one and see how well that worked, range, sensitivity etc. You can always move it every couple of days to cover the whole garden and then get a second if really needed.

• Agree Agree x 2
              • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +4,184
                If you have average cold water pressure those sprays will cover 10 mtrs + easily.
                One should be more than enough.
                Plenty of doube tap adapters on the market in metal or plastic, just google.

• Like Like x 1
                • CanadianLori

Battle Axe
                  Ratings:
                  +30,478
                  This is of no help at all but it is funny!
                  [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
                  • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                    Ratings:
                    +117,314
                    Simple answer - Yes :). I don't use them for cats but because we have a big garden and I don't want to keep dragging a hose around - 200ft hose reel on each. It's a simple Y connector.

• Jocko

Jocko Guided by my better half.

Retired engineer. Now Vice CEO of the garden.
                      Danderhall on southern edge of Edinburgh. Zone 8a.
                      Ratings:
                      +6,776
                      We have a cat called Kevin who is a regular visitor to our garden, mainly because my wife feeds him. He has never been any trouble but a couple of times recently we have noticed him doing his business in the bark under our apple tree.
                      I have ordered a half dozen plug plants of Coleus canina which is supposed to deter cats so I will see how that goes.
                      I tried to stop him from getting on the window sill as that wound up our two house cats but a liberal sprinkling of "Lion's Roar" had no effect.

• shiney

Ratings:
                        +117,314
                        Generally, nothing deters cats if they really want to be somewhere. They own the world!

• Agree Agree x 1
                        • Jocko

Jocko Guided by my better half.

Retired engineer. Now Vice CEO of the garden.
                          Danderhall on southern edge of Edinburgh. Zone 8a.
                          Ratings:
                          +6,776
                          Don't I know it? With a wife, two cats and me, a King size bed isn't big enough. I am always last in and I am lucky if I get an edge. Non-cat people won't understand.

• Agree Agree x 1
                          • Funny Funny x 1
                          • Fof

Fof Gardener

Ratings:
                            +178
                            Hi guys
                            I've just been through quite a lot of the posts. Some interesting comments.
                            I have nothing against any animal, unless they start to take the mick by not reciprocating the respect I show them.
                            A couple of years ago I bought a house with a garden that had proabably never been planted with anything more complex than grass, never fertilised and just mown.
                            Once I started to bring the garden to life, it became a magnet for the local cat population. I also discovered, using a trail cam, that the local hedgehogs and foxes were starting to visit.
                            When I went out to do the bird feeders, in the morning, my first job was to go around and clean up from the previous night. Sometimes 2 or 3 doggy bags. I HATE cat owners.
                            I saw an add for a electronic cat deterent, which was "safe" for hedgehogs and foxes.
                            Gave it a try. I can honestly say that each and every cat (over 2 nights) that triggered it, left, stage left, at a great rate of knots. Problem was, when a fox appeared, it jumped backwards, turned 180° in the air, and was gone. That was the end of the deterents.
                            Lateral thinking was required.
                            :ideaIPB::ideaIPB::ideaIPB:

:yes::yes: I HAVE IT!!!!!!!! :yes::yes:

Trip to B&Q to buy a load of the wire staples for pegging down weed-matting, then off to the local open land (I'm in Cornwall), with secateurs in hand to prune some of the local gorse, Ulex europaeus.
                            Once I was back home I just laid the gorse, loosely, on the ground, covering the first couple of feet and used the staples to hold them down. At the end of last year, when cleaning the beds, I recovered the staples and discarded what was left of the gorse.
                            I got some video of the cats discovering the gorse. They did not like stepping on their very sharp spines. Didn't see any trying to squat. That would've been funny.
                            The local cats still use my garden as a route from A to B, but not as a toilet.
                            I put out food for the hogs and foxes. The hogs' is under cover, but easily accessible, while the foxes' is out in the open. The cats appear to be showing some me some respect, at last, because I have caught most of the local cats who have appeared, checked out what the foxes were getting, and just wandered on. One though, stops, eats a couple or so of the dog biscuits, then wanders off.
                            I think I have them trained, but the gorse is only just down the road if they need a repeat lesson.
                            If you want to try, just remember, wear good strong leather gloves, and cut 12" or so long cuttings

• Like Like x 1
                              Last edited: May 6, 2023
                            • shiney

Ratings:
                              +117,314
                              Interesting. We have visiting cats but they all bury whatever do and tend to do it in almost inaccessible places so they're not a bother.

The foxes, on the other hand, always leave their gifts on the lawn. :mad: We don't put out any food for them but they still come every night. We still miss the cat that adopted us (years ago), lived in the greenhouse, loved humans and hated large four legged creatures. He was a big cuddly and extremely friendly cat until four legs tried to come into the garden. Then he turned into a raging demon! Foxes, badgers and dogs were all fair game to him.

• Like Like x 1