Chamomile Lawn Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by rqy99g, Sep 24, 2017.

1. rqy99g

rqy99g Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I have a piece of land at the side of my house which is causing me some head scratching with what to do with it. The top part I have for growing veg but the bottom part (which I need help with) slopes quite steeply about 3 foot over its 10 foot width and is around 80 feet long.

I'm thinking as maybe a short term solution (maybe long term) is to have it as a chamomile lawn as it is an area which won't get used much as we have other areas which are better suited to every day use and really I want minimum up keep of the area (certainly for now).

I have seen advice that I should use about 80-100 plugs per sq meter, sounds awfully expensive to me. I'm looking for cheaper alternatives, i.e. growing from seed, any advice gratefully received!

2. toppington

toppington Tiny garden, always on the cheap!

Ratings:
    +1,179
    I am sure others will be along with some more seed based suggestions soon, however @rqy99g have you considered using chamomile tea bags instead of seed?

The plus side is, they are dead cheap! Simply cut open the top of the teabag, sprinkle onto compost and keep in a light place - there will be viable seed in there, and it will germinate in about 20 days.

The not so plus side is that you have no idea which variety of Chamomile you are getting - and so it could be one variety, or a mixture! Also there may or may not be much viable seed in your bag. I used Aldi teabags, opened two and had about 80 shoots from my germination trials in winter last year.

Growing from seed might be an alternative for you if you have the space! I like how cheap this company are:
    Herb Chamomile Anthemis Nobilis | Herb | Chamomile | Premier Seeds Direct ltd

Please do keep up posted with what you decide! :spinning:

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +45,635
      You can't grow a traditional chamomile lawn from seed as the preferred variety 'Treneague' doesn't flower, hence why you have to go down the plug plant route. The link in toppington's post above seems a good alternative, that variety is a bit taller and will need a bit more maintenance i.e. regular trimming. Even a 'treneague' lawn will need some maintenance, i.e. weeding. If you do go down this route make sure that all weeds are killed/removed before you plant up.

• BeeHappy

BeeHappy Total Gardener

Mother Nature's Garden Apprentice
      Ratings:
      +6,133
      @toppington thanks to your advice.... experiment :snorky: I've sown my teabag too :fingers crossed: ....so will give you an update when there's news :spinning: