1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Changing gear/lifestyle...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Fat Controller, Sep 6, 2021.

1. Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Living in hope of world wide peace.
    Ratings:
    +54,374
    No @Sandy Ground ...it's nothing to do with the potential of losing your pitch...we are allocated pitch numbers here too, always have been to my own personal knowledge for at least the last 30 years, whether you have a tent, caravan or campervan.. the pitch is yours for the duration of your hols.

No what I was ( and I think FC) referring to was the fact you have to traipse around with your holiday home and (depending on what type of holiday you like) negotiate maybe some very narrow ( but picturesque) lanes and small spaces that go hand in hand with most of our beautiful villages. Otherwise you're tied to staying pretty much put near to the campsite which is often noisy and in many cases commercial. As I said it depends on your type of holiday....personally we like to only use the campsite as a base for exploring further afield.:)

Also ,and this has happened with us several times...if one member of your party is not keen on the chosen place to visit...or, as in our case too, wasn't feeling 100% then either they have to go ,or nobody goes at all!

It's fine too when your children are young if you go ,they go, if you stay, they stay but when they're older and want to plan at least a couple of their own ways of spending time maybe away from parents...what then ?

With a campervan everyone has to do the same thing...and if everyone is older the crampness of space does lead to the need, occasionally, to have the option of time to do as each individual wants. Sometimes to maintain the peace and sanity of all! ;):dbgrtmb:

This helps to make a lovely holiday for all and lots of positive memories too .:)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
      Last edited: Sep 7, 2021
    • Sandy Ground

Sandy Ground Total Gardener

Making things of note.
      Ratings:
      +5,368
      @Upsydaisy I do understand what you mean on this. Being just two whhen we are out does solve a lot of the problems you mention. As regards "narrow but picturesque" lanes part, a lot depends on how a person is. We drove ours down this little street...

DSCN2887.JPG

...as an example ( there have been plenty others!) and I found it to be lot of fun.

One thng I certainly agree with, are all the memories, both good and bad.

An early one of mine was going along the then newly constructed M6, and the van started to make a horrible noise close to Forton Services. There turned out to be nothing wrong with the vehicle, and I'm willing to place a bet that only a few of the older ones on here will know the reason.

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
        At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
        Ratings:
        +49,618
        Well, Boris' announcement today may well crystalise things for me somewhat as that is another significant chunk of money out of our wages every month, made worse by the paltry offer that our company has made - - I really cannot see the current car staying much longer as we are really struggling now, let alone once the extra taxation comes in.

OK, in turn... work.

The irony here is that during the course of last year we implemented new software (a few million quids worth!) which has changed everyone's jobs completely - - I am doing a similar job, but not the same and I rarely touch comma delimited files anymore as this software is much more capable of handling swift changes. I rarely work extra hours anymore either. I've also got three new staff starting over the coming few months which almost doubles my staff team - - this releases a vast amount of pressure on all of us. I have 21 years service and whilst my salary is a bit under par for the job role when compared with other companies, I do not have the uni degrees that many of the employers demand for a role like this. I can no longer just upsticks and go off and throw a coach around the roads as an alternative and getting a job that pays similar without qualifications would be nigh on impossible. I am kinda stuck really. The upside is that I can work from home - currently all of the time until I can sort out my covid vaccine status, but even then potentially three out of five days. Once Little C has finished college, this may in fact be the key... we could save a huge amount of money simply by moving away from here. As long as I have a broadband connection and am within a distance that I could get in for a couple of days a week, we should be good. This is a definite on my agenda - - not sure where, not sure how, but I want away from here.

@Upsydaisy is spot on in as much that it isn't losing a pitch that worries me as such, but more how convenient it would be to have to detach awnings etc or pack stuff away just to have a toodle around the country lanes. That is the sort of holiday we like (to some degree), although to be honest I would be quite happy to pitch up somewhere in the likes of Yorkshire and sit there watching the world go by for a week or so. I can get well over a couple of hundred yards as long as I have my stick, so taking a gentle wander into a village to go to something wouldn't really be an issue I don't think. The physical size doesn't really put me off to be honest - bear in mind that I was used to chucking double deckers around not only in heavily congested streets but also in housing estates and even country lanes when on rail replacement work. A van based camper would be a breeze really.

The main reason that I am less favourable toward the caravan idea is simply storing it when not in use. This is my driveway:
        upload_2021-9-7_18-12-42.png

The one on the right is mine - that slope is quite steep, so pushing a caravan up it by hand would be a non-starter and equally manoeuvring one out in our heavily parked up street would be a nightmare I think. The rent on the house is enough without adding rent to store a caravan somewhere (if that even exists) - a camper could sit in the drive (if SORN) or even on the road if suitably alarmed and roadworthy.

We're definitely going to be in at the bottom end of this, so DIY repairs are going to have to be the order of the day - as an example, the one that surfaced yesterday (belter of an interior) needed recommissioning (so tyres, hoses, brakes, engine and gearbox service) and also neede a bonnet, a repair to a back corner and hitting with a few rattle cans to tidy it up. That is the sort of stuff that could quite easily be done at leisure with it parked on the drive. A caravan, less so (I think!)

Moving house is clearly not really an option for now whilst Little C is at college, but that will have to happen at some stage before I go quietly mad; but, the one thing that I really feel we have to do, is give ourselves the ability to have some sort of holiday.

• Informative Informative x 1
        • Friendly Friendly x 1
        • Sandy Ground

Making things of note.
          Ratings:
          +5,368
          @Fat Controller when you wrote "the one that surfaced yester needed a gearbox service" was it by any chance a Fiat based one with a 5-speed box?

• clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
          Ratings:
          +7,625
          I was on the verge of purchasing a campervan/caravan. Liked that you don't have to pack up a campervan - easy to park on the site - didn't like the fact that I would have to drive the campervan to get to anywhere outside of the site itself. The more scenic sites look to be out in the wild - so some form of transport is important. In any case the more desirable sites looked to have been booked up well in advance. On top of all this - where do I store the campervan/caravan when not in use.

I looked at how much a decent campervan would cost, added in fuel, insurance, maintenance, site fees - and then had to work out why we would want to use the campervan when we can simply drive to where we want to go and book ourselves into a nice hotel.

FC - I was in a similar position to you some years ago - this is what I did when I'd just had enough of spending my life working:

- stepped down to a job with less responsibility - no expectation of overtime/working at home in the evenings - I was like you in my middle 40's;

- reduced hours - stopped working on a Monday - to give me a long weekend;

- reduced hours - went for job share - stopped working on a Monday, Tuesday and half Wednesday;

- looked at early release of pension - packed in work - lived on savings until the pension kicked in.

It's all about destressing - reducing responsibility and workload.

Never looked back, never regretted going part time or packing in work. I was like you getting stressed at work - Lord known what it was doing to my health. Now, the only thing I worry about is whether to have strawberry or blackcurrant jam on my toast...:biggrin:.

I was 52 when I packed in entirely - so the gradual reduction in working hours took place over a number of years. I have found that you do not need to match your work salary to live comfortably - my pension is a third of my salary.

Cars - my first new car is arriving in a couple of weeks - but previous to that it was cheap second hand all the way.

• Like Like x 4
            Last edited: Sep 7, 2021
          • Fat Controller

Public Transport
            Ratings:
            +49,618
            No, it was a Mercedes 207d - stored up for the past 8 years apparently, so would need all fluids changed, belts, hoses, tyres and as mentioned it did need a bonnet (£165 - I checked); that is why its price was as low and to be fair I reckon it could be battered even lower, but being a 207d they are pretty legendary for their reliability as you know. Simple engineering really, but tough as old boots. The interior on it was in beautiful condition. In some respects it kinda made me regret starting doing a bit of research in some ways, purely because it ticked so many boxes for us - - had we been that year or so down the line and sorted the finance bits out, it would be worth a couple of grand to sit on the drive and potter with for a while.

• Fat Controller

Public Transport
            Ratings:
            +49,618
            To some degree, I see where you are coming from - however, bear in mind that the rent that we have to pay is higher than most mortgage payments and that is a no choice situation as we do not have tens of thousands deposit. Pension is going to be state plus a lump sum when I retire from the auto-enrolement scheme. The plan there is to use whatever inheritance (if there is any) along with that pension lump sum and try to buy a retirement home (park home I am thinking) so that we will then have state pension income but no rent worries.

Hours have thankfully already reduced, and job is changing/morphing; stepping down is not an option as that would be driving for which I am no longer licenced and to be honest I doubt I would pass the medical. Make no mistake, I firmly lay a lot of my health problems at the door of my work; nearly 20 years of excessive hours, varying responsibility and directors who knew what was happening and failed to act (I wasn't alone) - - my entire industry is a bit of a pig to be honest.

What I really need is a lottery win as I would retire tomorrow and would not look back. I certainly wouldn't be bored.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
            • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
              +28,997
              Based on my experience of retiring super early, that sounds about right.

• Like Like x 1
              • Agree Agree x 1
              • Friendly Friendly x 1
              • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
                Ratings:
                +30,616
                Lots over here have hitches on the back of their RV's and tow a small car to their destination. Then use the car for errands or exploring or whatever. :)

• Like Like x 4
                • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
                  +46,169
                  You are doing what I used to do with major life events, list all the positives and negatives. It helped me with things like a new job or a house move.

I agree with Michael that your job sounds like the root cause of many of your negatives. I didn't think it was still possible to work such long hours, they are taking advantage of you. Have you got a union rep? They can sometimes help especially when companies are ignoring the working time directive. I'd even go as far as to suggest you could win a case against your company for treating you so badly.

I hope you can de-stress and find a better work/life balance.

• Agree Agree x 3
                  • Friendly Friendly x 2
                  • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
                    Ratings:
                    +86,035
                    I always had this approach to work, if I found myself worrying about it when I was at home then it was too much.
                    I always went home and forgot about the job.
                    Sometimes I used to go in on Monday morning and have to try and remember where I left off on Friday or Saturday.
                    Probably why I was never going to be rich, but that is why I've turned out to be such a benevolent and tolerant person. :biggrin::biggrin:

• Like Like x 5
                    • Agree Agree x 1
                    • Friendly Friendly x 1
                    • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
                      +28,997
                      I decided that, after returning from long weekend breaks, if by the Wednesday all I could think of was getting away for another long weekend break, it was time to pack it in (that's work, not hols).

• Like Like x 3
                      • Funny Funny x 2
                      • Friendly Friendly x 1
                        Last edited: Sep 8, 2021
                      • Fat Controller

Public Transport
                        Ratings:
                        +49,618
                        The problem there is I can't afford a holiday to find out :heehee:

• Like Like x 1
                        • Friendly Friendly x 1
                        • Fat Controller

Public Transport
                          Ratings:
                          +49,618
                          Been doing some more ruminating on this, and it seems that the campervan idea may be a non-starter as prices are riding particularly high; a half decent one is the thick end of £7k - -- COMPASS CASTAWAY 4 Berth Peugeot Boxer Motorhome 2005- - | eBay

That example listed would not fit in our driveway (too long) so it would have to sit on the roadside (legal, but not a great idea I wouldn't think, if only for the risk of damage/vandalism); there would of course also be the annual MOT to consider, as well as insurance, servicing and VED, so not a lot left out of £800 annually I would think.

Caravans are considerably cheaper (still out of reach!) - Se connecter à Facebook

Something like that example would hit so many boxes for us in terms of size etc, and of course would allow us to leave it on a site and go touring in the car. There is no annual test, and not an awful lot in terms of maintenance (brakes, lubrication and occasionally tyres really I suppose) - speaking to a friend, he stores his caravan on a caravan site local to him for £300 a year; he can't use it on the site without paying more, it is just a parking space, but that isn't a disgusting amount to be fair. Sadly, to add a towbar to the car is near on £1000. So, there is now't cheap.

• Sandy Ground

Making things of note.
                            Ratings:
                            +5,368
                            @Fat Controller dont be to sure about your idea being a non starter. If thing are the same there as they are here, then prices will have risen due to the Pandemic. Demand is greater than supply right now, so I would expect that prices will drop to normal levels in the near future when those that dont really want one start to sell.

Maybe converting a van would be cheaper?