1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Cheap Pots/Containers

Discussion in 'Container Gardening' started by Dave W, Apr 4, 2007.

1. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    This is what I use to start my sarracenias from seed.

[​IMG]

However, now I've seen a genuine bog garden, I think I'll give up. [​IMG] :D :D

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,057
    Dont give up John.
    Its a good idea, easy to move around. :D

I presume you grew those ones from seed.
    Its a long process, I've done it myself.
    Do you leave them out through the winter, I assume you do as I remember you dont have a greenhouse yet.
    What's the green upright leaves? some kind of sedge?

3. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    That's really good John ideal for the gardener 'on the go' :D
    Helen.xxx.

4. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Actually, the tire is punctured and it is difficult enough to push empty...... ;) :D

Yes Pete. I grow everything from seed or cuttings or offsets etc. whenever possible. These are from seed. I have a neighbour whom I rag mercilessly because, although her garden is pristine, she buys everything she can fully grown. Says she hasn't got the patience to wait. But my late dad was a professional head gardener and if I did that he would revolve like a spinning top. Also I like to look at things and think 'I did that - with just a little help from Mother Nature'.

You are probably right, I think the green in there is some kind of sedge. We found it on a very wet stretch of land and took a couple of seed heads. As you say sarracenias are a slow job and I thought it would just add a bit of interest. Also, once big enough the sarras go in the proper bog garden, so there are only a few at a time in the barrow.

Finally, yes they stay out all winter. We are fairly mild round here and if a hard frost should be forecast a piece of poly. sheeting is fine for the maximum 48 hours it lasts. (Actually less than that if it goes on for 2 nights). I tried once bringing some into the house and of course, they wanted to come out of dormancy in January - not a good idea. :eek: [​IMG]

5. borrowers

borrowers Gardener

Ratings:
    +48
    hi everyone
    i've just bought, second hand, 7 big round pots & about 11 smallish ones from someone for �£15. Thats me set up for next year!
    i think alot of people would throw pots away but this lady didn't, she advertised them & only lived about 4 miles from me. what a great way of recycling - making money for her & getting me loads more pots for next year. there's no way i could have afforded to buy all these new.
    i can't wait for march to get seeding!
    cheers

6. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    On Friday I went to a branch of Wilkinsons and brought quite a few lovely terracotta pots for the garden we spent a bob or two on them but got a bargain as they were half price!

Went back yesterday and sadly they were sold out!

Just my luck for being greedy. :(
    Helen.xxx.