1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Cherry Laurel advice needed please!

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Lianne, Apr 2, 2020.

1. Lianne

Lianne Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I have a relatively narrow garden with a 5 ft fence around it. In certain areas I'd like to have a bit more privacy so when sitting on the patio etc, neighbours can't see right over. I had thought planting 2-3 cherry laurels a couple of foot apart and letting them grow to around 6 ft and tryi g to keep them trimmed so they don't come out too far into the garden space but still have height.
    Is this possible or will they grow out too much?

Thanks in advance for any replies!

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +118,510
      Laurel are difficult to keep trimmed to a narrow result as the main trunk thickens over the year.

What seems to be the better idea is to add some trellis to the top of the fence. This is more decorative

Examples here:
      trellis for top of fence - Google Search

and you can then grow some nice climbing plants up the fence and trellis. You can grow fast growing climbing annuals (e.g as cobaea) and some perennials (e.g. as clematis) :)

• Like Like x 1
      • Lianne

Lianne Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
        +3

• Agree Agree x 1
        • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
          Ratings:
          +118,510
          If you're thinking that you want the barrier to be higher than that you need to remember that there is a legal height limit to hedges of about two metres - unless your neighbour agrees.

With fences you can usually get away with some more height if the top is attractive. So 18" trellis on top of 6ft fencing is quite common. Neighbours are usually happy with that as the trellis looks decorative and if you grow some nice flowering plants up it they get the flowers without doing any work. :heehee:

• Agree Agree x 1
          • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
            +12,667
            I would plant a hedge that was narrower than Cherry Laurel - which is a thug. Also, when you cut Laurel (with hedge trimmer) the leaves, being big, go brown at the cut edges. If you cut it by "pruning" branches with secateurs that avoids the issue, but its a lot more work (although not really if you only have a couple of plants).

I like a "smart, formal, dead straight, geometric" hedge, but that might not be the look you want? :heehee:

I would plant Thuja plicata atrovirens (the variety is important, otherwise you might just get seed-grown Western Red Cedar and the plants will be a bit Heinz-57)

Its a bit like Leylandii <spit> except that it grows quite quickly but not 3 feet a year (which is the bit that makes keeping a Leylandii hedge troublesome to maintain, 'coz it carries on wanting to grow 3 feet a year and doesn't know it is supposed to stop doing that once it gets to 6' :) ), the Thuja cuts to a very nice formal hedge, and is way way faster than Yew.

Other evergreen hedges available ... some of them flowering if you fancy that (although I am thinking of things like Escalonia which is basically a scruffy looking hedge, with a Wow couple of weeks a year when it flowers.