Cherry tree pruning

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Denis_RUS, Oct 7, 2021.

1. Denis_RUS

Denis_RUS Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi, need help with this monstrosity as it grows out of proportion (supposed to be a dwarf cherry tree). I don't know the variety of it unfortunately but last year I pruned it but it grew back to the same height over summer. Should I keep pruning it? Or leave it as it is? And it does not give much fruit, supposed to be self pollinating.
    20211007_133821.jpg 20211007_133836.jpg

2. noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +13,962
    Hello Denis_RUS, welcome to GC. That is a dwarf cherry :) A full-size one would be enormous. Unfortunately, it's really not the best time of year to prune cherries (or plums). They should be pruned in summer when there's a fighting chance of dry weather, to avoid fungal diseases entering the pruning cuts. I would say that the reason you didn't get much fruit is that the one-year-old or more wood was pruned out and it's that that bears the fruit. If you can, leave it alone for now, see what you get in the way of fruit next summer, then take out a third of the branches, especially crossing or wispy ones. Cut them back cleanly to a main branch. That should leave you with a thinned-out framework. If you keep cutting all the branches back, to reduce the height, they'll just sprout even more thin, useless shoots.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Denis_RUS

Denis_RUS Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +1
      Thanks a lot for your advice! :)

• Like Like x 1