1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Chicken run roof replacement.

Discussion in 'Livestock' started by rustyroots, Dec 29, 2020.

1. rustyroots

rustyroots Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,946
    Hi All,

The roof on the chicken run has started leaking, it is under the apple tree and the falling apples had broken the clear plastic in a couple of place. I think that the recent winds have got under these areas and now have a couple of substantial holes. I could do without the expense of circa £150 to replace with plastic sheets and was thinking of using a clear heavy duty tarpaulin to get me through the winter. Something like this Clear Heavy Duty Tarpaulin/Mono Cover 170GSM - 4m x 5m

Has anybody be used one and what are your views on them?

Rusty

2. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,203
    Hi,

Is it a wooden roof or some kind of mesh ?

Cannot see anything better value than the Tarp you list, but if wooden, wonder why you have not used the typical Shed roofing felt , only £2 a sq mtr, or could it be toxic to the chucks ?

If you really want to do it cheep, then grabbing some of those 1 ton bulk bags out of a builders skip might do.

3. rustyroots

Ratings:
    +2,946
    Hi Ricky,

Yes it has joists which have the corrugated sheets screwed to them. The reason that I didn’t use felt as it would be too dark in the run.
    Rusty

4. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,990
    I think what you have found there looks good as a stop gap, not sure if it is UV stable, so might degrade after a year of summer.
    :smile:

5. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,997
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
  6. DianneW

DianneW Head Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,860
    We discovered Chickens when locally to us in Bexhill near where my daughter moved to a Couple that had bantam chickens in there front garden and we were hooked...found Mantel Farm in Battle and the whole world changed for us....4 Chickens and purchased a new chicken house and made a small run for their protection. They had freedom when we could watch over them as Mr Fox was always near being on the edge of countryside one side and a housing estate the other..Pebsham Farm worth noting for the devastation they caused to the area of the people....
    Back to the query...the plastic sheeting is a good choice as nothing else is going to be as good for them...we have plastic sheeting and with the elements it does get maybe brittle and crack but then we cover it with flimsy type of plastic to make it watertight for a bit longer. Sadly we have just the one very happy tough chicken left out of 4 but she has stopped laying eggs recently but will care for her until its her time...Then we shall get some young chickens again that are use to each other...they do not like changes and you never know how they will re-act to a new chicken or three...(they can be cannibals..seen that and kept it a secret)

7. CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
    Ratings:
    +30,616
    I used 14g ultra clear plastic for making my cold frame covers. It is the same stuff used for windows on boat covers etc. It is rugged and so far, after 5 years, shows no discolouration. No scratches, almost pristine. It comes in rolls 54"wide and over here it is about 5 of your £ per yard. I don't know how wide a chicken run is but if it is not more than 25" wide, you could split it down the length and halve your cost. Mine has stayed outside in blistering summers and temperatures well below freezing and not suffered any. Cold crack is rated at -30c. This would be a permanent and most likey cheap fix if you could source it there.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • rustyroots

Ratings:
      +2,946
      Thanks all for the replies. I will get some ordered.

Rusty