Chicken Wire and creeping buttercup

Discussion in 'Livestock' started by hilaryjp, Nov 19, 2007.

1. hilaryjp

hilaryjp Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    As I said in my introduction I am trying to sort my 'little' garden out.

First of all I want to put chicken wire under the bit of hedge I have (so the dog can run around it a bit ;) ) but would like to know how I would fix it to the stems so that doesn't do any damage.

Secondly, the ground is always very wet, which I presume that the creeping buttercup (I looked up weeds on the net)thrives. If I dig it up, will the roots still be there? Can anyone suggest how I could get rid of it please?

Hilary

2. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
  3. hilaryjp

Ratings:
    +0
    OK, seems like I can burn it, mulch it, hoe it, use weedkiller or maybe if I shout at it, it will go away LOL!!!

Hilary

4. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    You know what they say 'Ask 12 gardeners for an answer to a problem and you will get 12 answers'. Oh and you forgot dig it out. :D :D

5. hilaryjp

Ratings:
    +0
    Dig it out? Wow, that sounds novel [​IMG]

6. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Hilary, John can be very inventive when he put`s his mind to it. :D :D

7. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    David, just because my grandma was a Welsh Victorian, doesn't mean I have to eat leeks [​IMG]
    (but i do think they are an under-rated vegetable.) :D And if that doesn't confuse the issue then what will?

8. geoffhandley

geoffhandley Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    When you are putting the chicken wire in dig a trench and bury the bottom in the soil. Even then the dog may try to pull up the wire. With mine I had to bend the bottom of the wire towards me before burying. I have since had to put rocks all along to stop her digging it out. So far that has worked. Just hope your dog is easier to contain than mine.

9. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    John, my Grandma ( on my mothers side) was English Victorian. The one on my fathers side was Finnish. If that doesn`t confuse things.

10. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Good luck Hilary with sorting out your wet garden and also getting it 'prison safe' for your dog it's always a nightmare trying to keep your pets safe.

One of my 'old ladies' is always trying to dig her way out of our back garden so I have to get Bob my hubbie to regularly patrol the perimeter, goodness knows what we would do it she ever got out as the cheeky old lass is getting quite deaf now although I don't think anyone would 'pick her up' and take her home for to keep for theirselves as she's a little windy minx at the best of times! [​IMG]

We have surrounded the privet lower sections with wire as Geoff has done with his garden and as yet had no escapees.
    Helen.xxx.

11. Nursewhen

Nursewhen Gardener

Configuration management analyst
    Ratings:
    +45
    Heavens! and I thought my mum was trouble!

;)