1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Chickens on a patio

Discussion in 'Livestock' started by Dan The Man, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Dan The Man

Dan The Man Gardener

Ratings:
    +179
    Well sorry guys I give up its far too wet and windy. I think I'll wait for a bit drier weather now. Just sat down with a coffee to warm up and their was a thing on escape to the country about chickens. Is that fate or what

• Like Like x 1
    • Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
      +0
    • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +31,885
      *Ahem!*

Just a thought for you Dan; when you *have* your chickens ....

... you can't take them back when its wet and windy and their coop needs cleaning :whistle: :heehee:

On a serious note: it has been incredibly windy today and for the chooks sake; a bit calmer weather for their intro is probably wise :)

• "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +31,885
      Hate to break this to you, Zigs ... but your Eric? Is an Erica :whistle:

• Like Like x 1
      • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +31,885
        Any news, Dan?

• Like Like x 1
        • Dan The Man

Dan The Man Gardener

Ratings:
          +179
          Unfortunately we have deciced to wait a while for the hens I am going to wait for the lovely spring weather :heehee: as I'm going to re arrange my garden and extend the run so I can walk in to at least part of it. sorry to let you down guys but it will be worth it in the long run. It's hard to explain with out pictures and I no how much you guys like pics so I will take some to show you my ideas later. It's just if I extended the run were it is at the mo it would take up a lot of my only south facing fence (which is we're I grow my veg)

• Like Like x 3
          • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +31,885
            You haven't let us down, Dan; in fact, I'm impressed that you *haven't* dived in and that you are giving it much thought and pre-planning. :dbgrtmb:

You are far more likely to succeed and enjoy the experience if you have given it much thought than if you dive in with both feet and then find it isn't working out quite as you planned.

To add to the compass facing thoughts: if possible, have it East facing. This way, they will get early morning sun (wakey-wakey-bwok-bwok-bwok!) *but* it will be in shade in the afternoon sun - which at the height of summer will be a blessing for the girls! This I know from experience :doh:

Can't wait to see your plans/pix :dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 1
            • Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
              +0
              Aw you've let me down:heehee: only joking:dbgrtmb:
              Wise decision given this awfull weather,besides it will be better for all of you because when you get them you'll spend alot of time outside yourselves watching them ,so spring is an ideal time...... still can't wait though:dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 1
              • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
                +0
                [​IMG]

Eric the Snail, he's an hermaphrodite she is.

• Like Like x 3
                • Dan The Man

Dan The Man Gardener

Ratings:
                  +179
                  Well bit of a development guys and gals. My mother has decided to let me use part of her garden to grow my veg in so I may be moving my coop to hers she has a very long garden that consists of 3 different areas and the back area at the end of the garden is never used so she said I can have it. I paced it out yesterday and I reckon I can get the 5, 8x4 raised beds down the left hand side which will leave the other 2 3rds of the area open space for the coop and a descent sized run. Also the next section of the garden is turf so they could have that area to free range and scratch around in the overly sized borders that are filled with large shrubs. Sounds perfect eh!!

• Like Like x 4
                  • Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
                    +0
                    :yahoo: You can get some more chooks now Dan:hapfeet:brilliant:thumbsup:

• "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
                    +31,885
                    Sounds ideal, Dan! :dbgrtmb:

My girls had the run of my copse end (pre-ducks) and that is where my veg beds are. I used some bamboo canes and some pea netting to create a barrier around my beds and the girls never touched them! (Well, until the barrier was removed :heehee: ).

All systems go for you now, Dan :biggrin:

• Jenny namaste

Jenny namaste Total Gardener

retired- blissfully retired......
                    Ratings:
                    +31,166
                    I watched a guy buying yuppy Chook feeds at a nearby Farm shop today and smiled as I thought of this thread. There was a beautiful photo of some very fine gals on the front of one of the bags. I know nothing about Chooks but I liked to read about people who do.
                    Please,what type are you thinking of buying and why those in particular ?
                    Jenny namaste

• Dan The Man

Dan The Man Gardener

Ratings:
                    +179
                    Lolli those were my thoughts exactly :dbgrtmb:

It will be all systems go in next week or 2 mum theirs a lot of work to do to get it ready ive been round today to meAsure up and the area is 12m x 7m but its all covered with a membrane and around 3 inch of gravel theirs also around 15 shrub type things (sorry I ain't got a clue what they called) their prickly ground covering evergreen things to remove. Once that's all gone I can start with the beds and run!!!!

Jenny the chooks I'm getting are called warrens their a hybrid hen that were bred for egg laying which is the reason I'm getting them as they can lay 300 plus eggs a year!!

• Like Like x 3
                    • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
                      +31,885
                      Erm, Dan ... I can understand you clearing ground for your veg beds (obviously!) ... but, are you aware that chooks will clear ground in the bat of an eyelid?

No need to remove ground cover where your chooks are going .... unless ... it is poisonous to chooks (cue link!) Toxic/Harmful Plants to chickens :dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 1