1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

chickens

Discussion in 'Livestock' started by devongardener, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    BHWT do rescues all over the place - they have a network of volunteers and a list of people waiting to take rescued ex-batts. And there are other organisations that do similar.

2. devongardener

devongardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I thought all battery chickens had now finished?

3. RandyRos

RandyRos Gardener

Ratings:
    +404
    yes you can try the rescued battery hens. OR you can join your local freecycle. sometimes they have offshoots that deal with animals only.

i found a place quite near us that sell hybrid pol chickens for £10 each. i got a light sussex, a something or other suffolk, a speckledy and a rhode island red cross. they hardly ever have a day off laying, even over the winter! so i guess they'll be worn out by next summer, but not a problem for us, they'll go in the pot, hopefully after raising some fertile eggs i'll buy in to replace them.

4. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    The Light Sussex won't be a pure breed variety, but one of the Utility strains, BTW. Chickens need to moult once a year - continuing to lay through the moult puts HUGE pressure on their system, as they need double the amount of protein to produce eggs AND grow a new set of feathers.

Sadly, the battery farm as a unit will remain for sometime yet, especially as the previous government back tracked on their pledge to abolish them in a couple of years time, back in January. The replacement system would hardly much better - slightly larger cages, scratching area and a perch within the cage and a 'dark' area for the hens to lay.

5. jennylyn

jennylyn Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I agree - check out & compare prices for any hen - there are small breeders around who do not ask the earth...I got some nice maran POL's for approx. £14.00 each last spring which I know could have been less money had I lived in a different area...not many breeders in Cornwall....well - not many who had the hens when i needed them anyway!! The eggs they lay are worth every penny, i will never buy supermarket ones ever again!

6. JanG

JanG Gardener

Retire
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Devongardner, did you get your chickens? I note from your posts you live in the Torbay area. I lived in Kingskerwell before moving to Belize, but sad to say not native Devonshire.

If you got your chickens, would be nice to see some pictures.

7. devongardener

devongardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    SWMBO has not yet given the project her full approval to date, she is worried who is going to be the cook and washer.

Be change of lifestyle for you by the sound of it.

8. JanG

JanG Gardener

Retire
    Ratings:
    +0
    Devongardner - You will really love the chick if you decide to get them, they don't take a lot of work.

Yes certainly is a change of lifestyle, one we enjoy very much.

9. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    I agree, chickens are not that difficult to look after - a secure, dry and draught free place to sleep, a secure run to roam and scratch and food and water.