1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Chickens.

Discussion in 'Livestock' started by rustyroots, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Looks great Rusty:dancy: and a good price too:dbgrtmb: ...when we built our run it was with all the odd timber we had knocking around but it was the welded mesh that pushed the price up...worth every penny though.....and with the wood and mesh left over we made an 'extention'....think Scrungee mentioned his on another thread....it's handy if you need to segregate your girls if they have a tiff or are poorly.....it's not normally a problem when you first get chooks but when you start to introduce new ones to the flock it comes in handy.....:dbgrtmb: got a bit carried away with my run:doh:see 'cluckingham Palace' thread....but i love my feathered kids:rolleyespink: you won't regret it:dancy:

2. rustyroots

rustyroots Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,946
    Just checked out 'Cluckingham palace' you've done a great job there. How big is it? I have already thought about the segregation and with that coop I think I can split it down the middle and use the door to another removable fenced area within the run, then remove it when I need to. I have also been thinking about how to keep them in when free ranging, as at the bottom of the garden behind the veg beds they could get through to next doors garden and then all the gardens are open to them. So im thinking of making weld mesh panels about 5 foot so I can still speak to the neighbours as this is where we always seem to chat in the garden, then off this fence have a swinging system so that they cannot get on top of the veg beds and into the other part of the garden into the flower beds and pots etc. If I can get this to work they will have around 320 square footextra to roam around and help with the pests in the veg area. I havent even got them yet, but I think there will only be 3 for a short period, after seeing the chickens today I think I could probably took 20 home :snork:

Rusty

3. Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Rusty...it's about 8 mtrs give or take......overkill i know but we had the stuff and the area was getting wasted as nothing would grow due to the Leylandii growing next door......if you'll be around when your chooks are FR i'd just go for chicken wire to block any gaps in fences and hedges....alot cheaper:dbgrtmb:
    Bet after you've got your 3 'girls' you'll have more within the year:biggrin: ....
    You'll spend hours just watching their antics...especially in the summer:dancy:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • rustyroots

Ratings:
      +2,946
      I actually think that I will have most of the materials to do the fence as described from building the run I will just need some posts which are £5 so it will cost about £40. And I may not be there all the time when they are FR so I think I might go for the fence option.
      Quick question half of this area is lawned. Will they turn it into a mud bath?

Rusty

• Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      Well....up to this year i've been lucky....but it's been so waterlogged here that the odd scratching around has turned mine into a rugby pitch:doh: ...i've fenced it off for now till we get some dryer weather:whistle: but they can be quite distructive....it is an on going battle but i'm determined to have a nice garden and chooks.....not easy but not impossible....

• Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
      +28,997
      After our first Colombian Blacktail proved to be an exceptional layer (every single day for 18 months including through the winter, then a slightly reduced rate for nearly another year before she got her well-earned retirement) we initially thought about getting all Colombian Blacktails for the next batch of hens, but only decided to also get some different hybrids for a bit of variety. They are a extremely good layers and very friendly hens.

I can't quite follow your plans for polycarbonate roofing, but we've got ours above head height both to give us access into the run, and also to avoid low level sheeting turning the run into a mini-greenhouse and overheating in the height of summer.

• rustyroots

Ratings:
      +2,946
      The poly carbonate will be a roof about 6 and a half foot high to protect the run from the rain. I like the look of the Colombian black tail, but they never had any there today.

Rusty

• Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
      +28,997
      They're worth waiting for.

• rustyroots

Ratings:
      +2,946
      Hopefully the will have some next time when we go to get our chooks.

Rusty

• rustyroots

Ratings:
      +2,946
      I think I have got all the weld mesh I need for the chicken run from Gumtree for £20 :hapydancsmil: :hapydancsmil:

Rusty

• Like Like x 4
      • honeybunny

honeybunny Head Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,915
        result! you cant get much better than that:thumbsup:

• Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
        +0
      • rustyroots

Ratings:
        +2,946
        Just picked up the wire for my chicken run and I think I will have enough to do almost all of it. There are 2 rolls 1 is 1inch x 1/4inch and the other is 1/4inch square. Also got 3.5 square meters of 10mm polycarbonate to weather proof the run for £30. I have all the timber I need So when this arctic weather breaks I will get the area cleared and get started on building. :dancy: :dancy:

Rusty

• Like Like x 4
        • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +31,885
          Great bargain! :thumbsup:

I would use the 1/4 inch square mesh on the lower levels (keep potential rodents out ;) ) and the 1x1/4 higher up - if that is possible? :dunno:

Can't wait to see your coop and run, Rusty! :dbgrtmb:

• Agree Agree x 3
          • Like Like x 1
          • rustyroots

Ratings:
            +2,946
            The area inside the run at the moment is dirt, I was going to leave it like this and put a couple of inches of wood chips ontop. However I have been reading on line that this is a bad idea as the chickens will just dig into the dirt and turn it into a mud bath in bad weather. I was going this way as I thought that they might enjoy routing around in it. What does everyone else do? I am thinking if this is a bad idea of slabing the whole area and putting 5-6 inches of wood chip (this would also make it virtually inpossible for anything to dig into the pen) or putting a weed membrane and doing the same with wood chips. Any thoughts?

Rusty