Chickens.

Discussion in 'Livestock' started by rustyroots, Mar 1, 2013.

1. rustyroots

rustyroots Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,946
    Finally got started on the chicken house and run.

Made 5 panels that need creosoting and mesh attached. Need to make 1 more and the door, but ran out of materials.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369941928.076320.jpg

And built one end for the chicken house. Needs creosoting and bolting together. My drill went flat.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369942512.106031.jpg

Rusty

• Like Like x 3
    • rustyroots

Ratings:
      +2,946
      I have started to put the wire on the panels for the chicken run today. I only did one due to the wire being quite loose. I have used galvanised 'U' nails, but on the panel I have had to use about 40 of them to hold it down properly. I am thinking of getting some big washers and screwing it instead. How did everyone else fix there's? Is there a knack to fitting it?

Rusty

• Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      I used heavy duty staples Rusty:dbgrtmb:

• Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
      +28,996
      I started using staples to fix uncut edges of 'chicken' mesh, then used jig-sawed strips of feather-edged fence boards fixed with screws to sandwich all the nasty snaggy cut edges to the framework.

The lower panels constructed of weldmesh were securely fixed with staples all round just in case the local rats, badgers and foxes had access to screwdrivers.

• Like Like x 1
      • rustyroots

Ratings:
        +2,946
        How tight does it need to be? If there is a bit of slack in it is ok? Bearing in mind I am putting heavy duty wire with 2x2 holes in all the way round upto a height of 3.5 ft to strengthen against fox attack especially as mr fox as been sleeping in next doors garden in the middle if the day and generally hanging around.

Rusty

• rustyroots

Ratings:
        +2,946
        Hi All,

Built the side panel for my coop this evening. I haven't screwed it in place yet as I want to creosote it all first and it weighs a tonne so will need to assemble in final place.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372278498.289286.jpg

I wanted it all finished and the chickens in by now, but I forgot how much time a new born baby takes. Ho hum I will get there in the end.

Rusty

• Like Like x 5
        • rustyroots

Ratings:
          +2,946
          Got the frame and 2 sides crecoted and built today. How do I fix the coroline roofing I got from eBay for £5 a sheet? Are there special screws for it? Would it be better to run a couple of battens across the roof to fix it too?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372625798.488603.jpg
          ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372625816.042885.jpg

Rusty

• Like Like x 5
          • Jenny namaste

Jenny namaste Total Gardener

retired- blissfully retired......
            Ratings:
            +31,022
            Requesting a Construction progress report please.
            Do we have an expected Completion date?
            There's a batch of babby chooks out there, hoping it will be their new home soon...:wub2:
            Jenny

• Scrungee

Ratings:
            +28,996
            Wickes sell nails with plastic washers/caps for fixing it @ £5.79 for a pack of 20 that seemed far too expensive plus I wanted to be able to remove the roofing for any future treatment required so used screws with cap/washers like these on ebay @ £2.85 for 50 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50-PACK-B...NE-ONDULINE-/190657967893?hash=item2c6419b715

I used an intermediate batten to support the roofing sheets

onduline.jpg

• Like Like x 1
            • honeybunny

honeybunny Head Gardener

Ratings:
              +1,915

im afraid Rusty will be starting again from scratch very soon as im sure (positive even!) that at any given moment now...he's going to very kindly offer to gift the whole coop to me!:wub2: ain't ya' Rusty ol' buddy ol' pal ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
              • Like Like x 1
              • rustyroots

Ratings:
                +2,946
                Hi All,

Not going well I'm afraid. I've got the back on but have hit a bit of a problem. When I built it the temperature was significantly lower than now and the wood has all contracted and now there are about 5mm gaps in between each board. Not sure if this will be a problem if it then expands again in cooler weather? I am now thinking of either putting ply on the inside or putting feather edge around the outside. I am worried about it getting draughty as this is not good I believe. So at the moment I am finishing off the panels for the run. I wasn't entirely happy with the wire so I ordered some different stuff so should get them finished this week.

Jenny finish date I cannot give, but desperately want it finished as I have an IOU some chickens from the kids for Father's Day.

Scrungee thanks for the link. I would rather go the screw route for the same reason as yourself.

Honeybunny I nearly had to start from scratch as I nearly started kicking the coop when I saw the shrinkage a few deep breaths later at a considerable distance away from it and I calmed down.

I will get it sorted ASAP and keep you all informed of the very slow progress I am making.

Rusty

• Like Like x 3
                • honeybunny

honeybunny Head Gardener

Ratings:
                  +1,915
                  ah the good old "one step forward two steps back" experience? i think we've all had projects turn into one of those at one time of another...such great fun innit! :gaah: take your time Rusty, you'll get there in the end & thats all that matters :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
                  • Friendly Friendly x 1
                  • rustyroots

Ratings:
                    +2,946
                    Built the front of the coop tonight.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373567876.778369.jpg

Not the best picture I'm afraid. I'm going to attach it by putting 6 x110 mm studs into the fence post uprights and use wing nits to clamp it on. I can then remove the whole front to clean coop out. The floor is going to be level with the horizontal beams so I should be able to just brush it out. I have decided to line the inside with 6mm ply so it should make it easier to clean as all the supporting braces will be covered (no hiding place for critters) and sort the problem of the gaps in between the boards. I need to get 6 mm ply tomorrow. I have got the 12mm ply for floor and nest boxes. I will hopefully get the lining floor and nest boxes done over the weekend.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373568326.973111.jpg
                    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1373568345.107763.jpg

Rusty

• Like Like x 4
                    • Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
                      +0
                      I don't think the shrinkage should be too much of a problem Rusty especially in this weather:dbgrtmb: but ofcourse in winter they don't want any draughts......and when the damp wet weather comes theres every chance it will swell again....keep going ...it's looking great:dancy:

• Agree Agree x 1
                      • Scrungee

Ratings:
                        +28,996
                        I don't see any adjustable ventilation hole - is there one? Our hen's coop has one like this that's left open in warm weather and be adjusted by means of that chain hooked onto the screw

coop vent.jpg

Nor can I see any door to get inside for cleaning, especially up on the poo tray (where some naughty hens will also lay their eggs occasionally if they get caught short during the night).

EDIT: Missed the bit about 'wing nut fixings', but still reckon that if you only get a good look inside once a week you wont be able to check for eggs on the poo tray or laid on the floor outside the nest box area, which (especially if soft shelled/broken) could encourage egg eating.

• Like Like x 1
                        • Informative Informative x 1
                        • Creative Creative x 1