Chilies 2022

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by JWK, Jan 1, 2022.

1. eatenbyweasels

eatenbyweasels Messy Gardener

Inmate
    Ratings:
    +1,614
    Hi, Ademission.

Yes, I'm definitely more on the sweet side. I use hot chillies to make chilli-non-carne and that's about it. I'm adding a semi-spicy one next year. The seeds only arrived yesterday (along with my dehybridised Redskin and Mohawk), which makes it a bit too late to sow, in my book.

It looks like you're further South, so I think you'll be okay with King of the North outdoors.

Here's a past pic of one of my Redskin plants, choked with green fruits.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
    • JAS

JAS Gardener

Engineer
      Ratings:
      +168
      Mine are growing away, I've ended up growing Satan's Kiss, Bulgarian Carrot, biquino Red, Cayenne - Long Slim, Sweet Banana and have some biquino yellow growing on from last year.

• Like Like x 3
      • JimmyB

JimmyB Gardener

Bit of ducking and diving
        Ratings:
        +602
        I planted early but struggled with germination so brought trays inside and they've started to come through. I've got some though which seem to be being nibbled by something as they emerge - thereby leaving them with no leaves, and they will die. I cannot work out what it could be though: no evidence of a slug...could it be the larvae of the tiny little black midge flies which wet soil seems to grow inside?

• Ademission

Ademission Gardener

Electronics Engineer
        Ratings:
        +618
        JimmyB,

The midge flies you talk about are likely to be Fungal Gnats. They tend to appear from nowhere when a plant is over-watered. It's unusual for Fungal Gnats to cause leaf damage though. The larvae of the gnat forage around under the soil/compost eating decaying roots and algae. They are annoying and pesky but generally not too harmful to plants. I have used "Mosquito Bits" to get rid of them. They can be scattered on the surface of the soil and watering through them carries a bacteria that feeds on the larvae into the soil. This needs to be maintained for a whole life cycle of 30days or more. Another method is to soak the Mosquito Bits in water for 24 hours to extract the bacteria and then use the bacteria filled water to water the plant.

Hope this helps.

Ademission

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
        +45,647
        There is another trick to get rid of fungus gnats, stick a match into the compost head side down. But they don't nibble the leaves, the larvae eat the roots as Ademission says.

It only takes one tiny slug or snail to chomp through several seedlings, they are good at hiding so I would bet that's your problem @JimmyB. Look underneath your containers, under pot lips or any other crevices they can get into.

• Informative Informative x 1
        • JimmyB

JimmyB Gardener

Ratings:
          +602
          @Ademission I am tempted, if they aren't eating my emerging seedlings, to let them be. I try to keep to as few additives as possible in my gardening: a bit of compost - which, if bought, no doubt contains somer fertiliser. A few degradeable pellets for the molluscs in the green house. And that's it really. Still - let's see how bad it gets: I might yet crack! :)

• JimmyB

JimmyB Gardener

Ratings:
          +602
          Yes - it really cools be a slug. I’ll pick up the grays and check carefully. Thank you

• Ademission

Ademission Gardener

Electronics Engineer
          Ratings:
          +618
          JimmyB,

Just a note to address your concerns about the Mosquito Bits I mentioned in my previous posting. I, like you am mindful of environmental poisons and avoid them whenever I can but this product is a natural substance that is impregnated into corn fragments. Water extracts from the corn so it can be used in killing Mosquitos and Fungal Gnats. I copied a section from the manufacturers datasheet for your information: -
          • Easy to use – sprinkle or broadcast over standing water to kill mosquito larvae
          • Quick acting, starts killing mosquito larvae within minutes
          • Harmless to beneficial insects, pets, birds, fish, horses, livestock
            • 8 oz. treats up to 2000
            • 30 oz. treats up to 7,500
            • 20 lbs. treats up to 1.8 acres
          • Water your plants with a "tea" made from Mosquito Bits to kill fungus gnat larvae in the soil.
          The bits are a bit expensive but work very well.

However, I do agree with JWK, that your problem does sound like a slug/snail. Can you see any signs of a snail trail near your plants. This is usual a good indicator that there is one about.

Regards

Ademission

• Informative Informative x 1
          • JimmyB

JimmyB Gardener

Ratings:
            +602
            Firstly - thank you very much for the effort there: really appreciated

I have searched for trails and really couldn’t find any. But I’d not swear. The weird bit is that it’s only the odd one here or there that gets hit where a decent sized slug can take out a tray in a oner. No drama - I always over plant and I’ve still got more than I’ve got space for. The trays are in my bedroom so I hope there isn’t some little wee beastie because I’ll never find him if he’s careful!

• Like Like x 2
            • Ademission

Ademission Gardener

Electronics Engineer
              Ratings:
              +618
              Hello eatenbyweasels,

I love that name "eatenbyweasels". Photo of legs in wellies is good too. All good fun.

I'm sorry for my late reply but I've been quite busy over the last few days. Thanks for the picture you posted in your last message. The Redskin pepper does look full of fruit for such a small plant.
              My peppers are growing quickly now. Some are already up to 3inches. I need them to get big as quickly as possible as I need the grow tent for starting the tomato plants. I can't get the peppers into the greenhouse yet due to the temperature being too cold. Tomatoes grow quickly so I suspect I'll be alright.

Talk to you later.

Ademission

• eatenbyweasels

eatenbyweasels Messy Gardener

Inmate
              Ratings:
              +1,614
              Hi, again.

Redskin is a remarkable variety. Sadly, my geriatric Redskin plant didn't survive a third overwintering, but I can hardly complain. I hope the OP version is as good.

I'm at the "what a shame" stage of discarding the first flower buds on my December - sown Redskins (see photo). I always end up picking them off to let the plant concentrate on its own growth, but it feels so counterintuitive when trying for the earliest harvest. Still, I have plenty of flower buds on my overwintered Cherry Belle Chocolate. K

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
              • Ademission

Ademission Gardener

Electronics Engineer
                Ratings:
                +618
                Hello all,

Another update on my chili plants. Nearly all seem to be growing well except for the Chilaca chillies which are not germinating (not even the second lot after replanting). The chillies intended for the greenhouse are being grown hydroponically and are currently in the Grow Tent. My spare germinated seeds are indoors in the kitchen under a second growlight in soil.

20220304_105603.jpg
                Picture 1: Left hand hydro tank with 2 un-germinated Chilaca seeds still under humidity cups.

20220304_105621.jpg
                Picture 2: The right-hand hydro tank is a little bit behind the first

20220305_150520.jpg
                Picture 3: Spare Chili plants in soil.

That's all for now.

Regards

Ademission

• Like Like x 4
                • Tinkerbelle61

Tinkerbelle61 Happiest Outdoors!

Ratings:
                  +697
                  Potted up my chillies yesterday, Razzamatazz failed but won’t bother re-sowing. These are now back in the heated propagator in the workshop. Lid and heat off in the day and back on in the evening.

They are in Jacks Magic, which took forever to wet through, will bottom water from now on.

Ring of Fire
                  Tinkerbelle
                  Cayenne
                  Beaver Dam

9CC65D95-79FE-4969-A047-E4E9E1E055DF.jpeg

• Like Like x 6
                  • Hanglow

Hanglow Super Gardener

Ratings:
                    +2,405
                    Locotos getting going, outside during the day now its above freezing. There is a bit of leaf curl which I have put down to them being under lights and some inconsistent watering, they look healthy enough otherwise IMG_20220311_111400191_HDR-01.jpeg IMG_20220311_111349011_HDR.jpg

• Like Like x 3
                    • Hanglow

Hanglow Super Gardener

Ratings:
                      +2,405
                      IMG_20220311_113928377_HDR.jpg IMG_20220311_113901815_HDR.jpg Also test jalapeno that was just under natural light in the sun room, small but healthy.

And the rest under lights.

The seranos are not doing well there, they were very old seed and the resulting plants are somewhat stunted so I may not bother with them come repotting.

• Like Like x 3