1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Chilli plants pictures progression so far

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by james swann, Jul 3, 2012.

1. james swann

james swann Gardener

Ratings:
    +141
    looking good shiney, has the seed packet arrived with you?
    whats in your soil mix if you dont mind me asking?

2. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,512
    Hi James, they've not arrived yet but they're probably delayed in the Christmas post :heehee:

The soil mix is Wickes crappy 'new improved' compost. The pot was put in the propagator next to mummy and daddy chilli plants and they seemed to germinate almost immediately.

3. shiney

Ratings:
    +118,512
    Seeds just arrived! :dancy:

Thanks very much :dbgrtmb:

4. Sian in Belgium

Sian in Belgium Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +9,233
    Fascinating!

We've grown chillies for the 2nd year running, but are total beginners. Last year we bought a flowering and fruiting plant at a street market in mid May, and grew it on to give us about 15-20 good mid-heat and well-flavoured chillies. We tried to overwinter it, but having read this thread, didn't do it right.

Encouraged by our success, this year we bought a small but vigorous plant from a local garden centre (no variety name) and have had about 20 or so red chillies so far (about 3-5" long), with a 2nd flush of flowers and newly set fruit happening now (milder than last year, but a good flavour - works brilliantly in pasta with half the seeds removed!). The poor plant suffered from neglect in July and August, as we went through the moving panic, and I'd like to keep it going through the winter if poss. Having read the temperature, my risotto was neglected as I ran to bring it inside - it's 14c outside now! Plant about 1 metre tall, with tired old leaves, and some re-growth with flowers and forming fruit. Should I just leave be, and prune back in January? We could keep it downstairs with patio windows on 2 sides, or move it upstairs to sit under a dormer window....

5. shiney

Ratings:
    +118,512
    Put it where it will get the most light. I keep ours by the french doors (all glass) facing due south so that they get sunshine and light all day. Expect some (or a lot) of leaves to drop but new ones will form. As you have some new flowers forming I would leave it for now (remember to feed it). Stop feeding it about November (the new fruit should be starting to ripen) and prune in January.

• Like Like x 1
    • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +16,246
      James have you grown Numex Heritage Big Jims , or Numex Heritage 6-4 ? I was thinking of trying these next year. Like a few on here I don't like super hot chillis - Jalapeno strength is fine for me ! But we do like the big varieties . I grew Hungarian hot wax this year 4" long and lovely grilled on the BBQ until they are just lightly charring :dbgrtmb:

• Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
      At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
      Ratings:
      +49,622
      I'm dead chuffed - I had another wee batch of chillies ready from mine yesterday, and to be honest we are pretty much over-run with them; so, I harvested them, and took them to work and gave them to the canteen staff.

Free lunch for me yesterday, and had a lovely hot curry today made with my chillies - canteen manageress reckons they are among the best chillies she has had in a long time :dancy:

• Like Like x 3
      • james swann

james swann Gardener

Ratings:
        +141
        Hi Harry, no i tend to steer clear of numex breeds, no particular reason for it just took a dislike to them when more than one had poor germ rates especially as the gene mix receeds from original strain produced. This is of course a personal preference others may find they're amazing....of course they'd be wrong though :P I'm joking but seriously always worth a try from a reputable source

• Like Like x 1
        • james swann

james swann Gardener

Ratings:
          +141
          • Like Like x 1
          • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
            +0
          • james swann

james swann Gardener

Ratings:
            +141
            Quite interesting to read up on zigs, the filtration unit converts amoniates (and other nasty poo chemicals) into both macro and micro nitrites and nitrates which boost plant growth etc, when this is done commercially, its classed as a dual crop, one crop being veg/salad etc the other being the fish, no extra food etc required root zone is kept under control by the fish, any bugs etc, eaten by the fish, so even though the initial outlay is rather large, the pay off is even greater come harvest time!

• Like Like x 1
            • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
              +0
              Love it James. Seen a Watercress farm that has a fish farm next to it, although that was the other way round, the fish were feeding off bugs washing off the Cress beds.

• james swann

james swann Gardener

Ratings:
              +141
              Thing is now i want to do it bigger and better!!! lol
              i used to have a back garden!!! :P

• shiney

Ratings:
              +118,512
              Good luck with the project, James :dbgrtmb:

• HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
              Ratings:
              +16,246
              Just as an aside .. lovely picture of a Texas supermarkets Chilli display - with instructions behind :biggrin:

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2