Chillies 2019

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Loki, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Loki

Loki Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,092
    I darent get a light box here, the police would be right on it :rolleyespink:
    Tell them you know who's dealing..............:dunno:......... don't want to know...........
    Imagine I do a set up in my loft :lunapic 130165696578242 5: they would descend, destroy, and still be no further on :doh:
    My chillies and toms would be in evidence bags! :wallbanging:

2. Loki

Loki Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,092
    Sorry , I bit of a rant, excuse me :redface:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
      Ratings:
      +30,478
      I grow cannabis for CBD. And have been doing so for over 4 years with a government registered licence and I have a 24" neavy aluminum fry pan to deter any nonsense. :paladin:And I only use a miniscule area outdoors during our short growing season. I'm still shocked that England hasn't caught up with the colonies :)

CBD makes your hips and other aches and pains go away. No side effects, no loss of productivity. And no ibuprofen or aspirin. Your liver likes you. And the best part is that you don't need it every day :)

So... if you need to use your lights, make it worthwhile :)

• Like Like x 2
      • CanadianLori

Battle Axe
        Ratings:
        +30,478
        As an FYI, my Bhut Jolokia germinated and a couple of,Manzanos :hapydancsmil:

• Like Like x 3
        • Loki

Loki Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +4,092
          Our country needs all the fines it can get:sad:
          We need to realise ' our' way isn't the only way
          We ' parliamentarians ' to get order!

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
        • CanadianLori

Battle Axe
          Ratings:
          +30,478

Sorry, I dont understand and I'm getting seniors discount everywhere so I'm not usually obtuse. Please tell me what the fines are?

• Funny Funny x 1
          • andrews

andrews Super Gardener

Waste Management and Consultancy
            Ratings:
            +2,369
            A friend of mine is using CBD oil on his arthritic 5 year old dog. One drop a day and the improvements are massive.

Edit : Meant to add that as there is no THC in the oil, the dog isn't off its face constantly or getting the munchies.

• Funny Funny x 2
            • Like Like x 1
              Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
            • CanadianLori

Battle Axe
              Ratings:
              +30,478
              Yes, @andrews, no one needs to get spaced to get pain relief. One of my supplier's reps was here the other day with new sample books and he told me that he was so grateful for me "showing him the way" . Last year he was over to see me and he looked emaciated and he told me that it was because he had a hard time getting an appetite because of the pain killers he had to take for his hips. On Tuesday he showed up looking much better with good colour, his weight was up to normal and he was obviously much more comfortable. I had given him some of my "special" fudge to try last year and told him the dosage and type of oil used and if it worked to go see his doctor for a prescription. He did. And he's happy :)

I'm experimenting with adding it to lots of different things and perhaps some with hot peppers in.

Which reminds me, some of my bhut jolokia seedlings are ready to pot up from their soil blocks :)

• Like Like x 3
              • Loki

Loki Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +4,092
                Sorry @CanadianLori
                What I meant is, Our country is skint and will fine people for the daftest things ..... right up to the most important. We need the money :frown:
                As for 'realising there is another way' ........we are sometimes to pompous to understand someone else has a better idea :th scifD36:
                The last statement was an error, I meant to say we need our parliament to get order.
                Hope that clears it up :blue thumb:

• Like Like x 1
                • CanadianLori

Battle Axe
                  Ratings:
                  +30,478
                  Ah, it's all academic. Really, all I wanted to know is what the saying meant. @Loki I rarely take offence. :)

I remember in 1965 we had a lot of Bobbies in full uniform at our various malls asking for donations for England. Nearly everyone I knew stood up to help. Me, I was a kid but I will always remember those encounters as a tie to my Mother, War Bride, background.

You people ROCK !!!
                  And by the last day, I was able to direct an Asian visitor on which underground lines to use....he thought I was a native :heehee:

Back to chillies... which we calll hot peppers

I freeze my hot pepper pods after processing a few pulses and then pull out the little packets throughout the winter to add to breads or jellis or ...

• Like Like x 1
                  • Funny Funny x 1
                    Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
                  • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                    Ratings:
                    +117,298
                    Our Naga chillies started germinating three days ago after sowing on the 28th. So only eight days to do so. That's reasonable quick for Nagas as I usually reckon on ten days.

P1410373.JPG

So far, 53 Nagas have germinated and 71 Shiney Hybrids. :dbgrtmb:

They'll get potted on in a day or two when all of them have got two leaves fully open. We use ordinary MPC to pot into and just cut each seedling out, with the bit of paper around it, and pop it into a hole in the compost. :)

• Like Like x 6
                    • Loki

Loki Total Gardener

Ratings:
                      +4,092
                      IMG_1029.JPG
                      Jalapeño just about ready for their own homes:biggrin: the cayenne, habanero and a lucky mix are all doing just fine :smile:

• Like Like x 3
                      • shiney

Ratings:
                        +117,298
                        As we grow a lot, we find that growing them on kitchen paper and in seed sprouters is quicker and takes less space. There's also less root disturbance when we pot them on when they are young and delicate. Actually no root disturbance at all as they're only rooted into the paper when we move them, so their roots don't get tangled with each other.

From there we pop them into seed trays and only when they're strong enough put them into small pots.

P1380461.JPG

P1380462.JPG

P1380463.JPG

You can see that we put the seed trays into cat litter trays so that we can keep them on windowsills without getting the sills mucky.

The ones in the first picture were ready for potting on.

• Like Like x 3
                        • Loki

Loki Total Gardener

Ratings:
                          +4,092
                          @shiney , do I remember rightly that you don't use heat or lamps? Your young chillies always look so healthy and compact :dbgrtmb:
                          My leggy offerings usually do good in the end though, thankfully. I'm just a tad jealous of your healthy little plants :heehee:

• shiney

Ratings:
                          +117,298
                          @Loki Yes, up to a point. They're germinated, stacked up in seed sprouters, on the kitchen worktop under a top cupboard as they don't need light for germination.

They then get potted on into the trays, pictures above, and put on the kitchen, south facing, windowsill - it takes six trays. The trays are turned 180 degrees every morning just to get them to grow straight. The kitchen has underfloor heating (just an electrical membrane under the tiles) that keeps the kitchen at 69F (20C) but warmer when cooking or when the sun is shining in.

When they're potted on into individual 3" pots they are still kept in the cat litter trays but as they take up more room other south facing windows are brought into use. The cat litter trays are ideal for protecting from any mess from spilt compost or water and are the cheapest solid plastic bowls we could find at £2.50 each. The south wall of the lounge is all glass with patio doors and glass side panels. So some of the trays are kept there and the lounge is warmer than the other rooms.

When we pot on into their final, or semi-final, 2 litre pots (usually the beginning of May) they are then put into the greenhouse in the heated propagator.

Waiting on the kitchen floor waiting their turn on the way to final potting and propagator.

P1390056.JPG

The Shiney Hybrids develop earlier than the Nagas and are usually in flower, or even fruit, in May
                          P1390057.JPG

I built the propagator, far end of greenhouse, in 1976 and it's still going strong :fingers crossed:
                          P1330379.JPG

Starting to load pots into the propagator - Nagas at the back
                          P1390169.JPG

These were the three best performing Nagas
                          P1330378.JPG

Any pots that can't fit into the propagator are put on the benching alongside and fleeced at night - until end of May Bank Holiday. That's our Open Day and we sell a lot of them then and there's room for almost all the rest after that. The Shiney Hybrids are hardy enough to just be able to sit anywhere in the greenhouse by the end of May. The Nagas need the heat.

• Informative Informative x 1