1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Chillies 2019

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Loki, Jan 4, 2019.

1. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,525
    Sorry, I couldn't look at you picture as it wanted me to accept their cookies from their site and I don't do that. :noidea:

There are a number of things than can cause problems, overwatering, drafts from the windows, damage of not handled well with transplanting, getting too 'leggy' etc.

These Shiney Hybrids germinated, on kitchen paper, in three days and were then transplanted into this tray today (day four). They were planted with half their stems buried in the soil. Works for us. :blue thumb:

P1410407.JPG

• Like Like x 2
    • joh98.mac

joh98.mac Gardener

IT Stuff
      Ratings:
      +139
      I'm growing a veriety. The ones you see here are Trinidad Moruga. I don't think they're too leggy - someone who can actually see that pic tell me if I'm wrong?). The kitchen in which the propagator lives is an extension and is pretty cold, but since they're in the propagator, I assumed that they would be OK, as it's a constant heat one.

I'm close to giving up.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
      • shiney

Ratings:
        +118,525
        Never give up :blue thumb:. We've all had problems in the past and eventually find what best suits our conditions.

The heated propagator should help them. Do you have a lid for it to stop any really cold nights getting to them? Make sure you don't over water them as you just need to keep the soil very slightly damp. :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • Loki

Loki Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +4,092
          @joh98.mac , I can see them and they do look leggy I'm afraid, sorry :redface: I have rescued worse though.

I don't grow ' super hots' as they are more fussy, so my knowledge is only based on what I've read, but I believe you need grow lights to be really successful with them. I'm sure I will be corrected shortly :heehee:

As for what I do with cayenne, jalapeƱo etc....
          Half a dozen seeds to 3inch pot. I place the pot in a sandwich bag and tie the handles ( mini prop and clean surfaces :blue thumb: ) pop it in my bog standard aldi heated prop or in a warm room.
          As soon as they germinate the bag is folded down and the pot is put on a cool, bright window ledge. I believe it's the light that is most important here.

When their first true leaves are growing nicely I prick out into 3 inch pots and again keep as light as possible, turning the pots regularly.
          I find heat encourages legginess.

I hope some of this helps. As shiney says it's a lot of trial and error but this is what works for me. I've grown habanero this way too.

Good luck, keep trying :dbgrtmb: Maybe try a less demanding variety?

• Like Like x 1
          • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
            Ratings:
            +86,077
            I'm not a chilli grower, but I grow quite a lot of exotic stuff from seed, believe me, chillies are not that difficult.
            Anyone can germinate the seed at any time of the year, but it is the growing on after germination that can be difficult, the earlier you sow seed the harder to get the growing on right afterwards.
            Now I know they say chillies need an early start, but they also often say tomatoes should be sown early.
            I bet if you sowed in early April you would still get some decent chillies right into the late summer and Autumn, the plants are tougher by then, and less likely to complain.

Having said that, I sowed some a few days ago and the first one surfaced yesterday, so now the process of hardening off from the humid propagator to the window sill begins.:smile:

PS, just looked at your photo again, the middle one still has the seed case attached, that's why it looks different, this often happens if you dont plant deep enough, it will hopefully sort itself out, but sometimes they dont.

• Like Like x 1
            • Friendly Friendly x 1
            • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
              Ratings:
              +30,616
              Sure, remind of how my King Protea never germinated. Still have tne seed packet to remind me of my failure... :doh:

The still attached seed casing, just pry it off, gently.. done it and all was well. Humans have C sections..:heehee:

• Funny Funny x 3
              • Like Like x 1
              • Friendly Friendly x 1
              • Loki

Loki Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +4,092
                Maybe others could explain what works for them? All info is good info :dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 1
                • Loki

Loki Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +4,092
                  Re seed casing
                  I wet my fore finger and thumb then GENTLY touch the seed casing. Get it wet, warm water , then leave for a few hours before trying again.
                  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't :dunno:
                  If you only get one seed leaf the seedling can still grow :dbgrtmb:
                  All trail and error, that's the beautiful thing about gardening :)

• Like Like x 2
                  • Agree Agree x 1
                  • shiney

Ratings:
                    +118,525
                    That's correct but you wouldn't get the chillies to ripen until later. Unlike a lot of edible plants, chillies rarely catch up on all the lost time. The super hot chillies, in particular, need a long ripening season. They'll grow as good and produce as much fruit as early planted ones but will be a good month behind if planted in April. Not too bad a thing if you're able to grow them under cover just in case there are some cold spells later in the season/Autumn. I still have some plants, now on the windowsill, that are producing fruit :blue thumb: but no fresh flowering :sad:.

I don't bother with removing any seed casing that might remain on the plant. In my last picture I can see that two of them still have the casing. There's one in the middle of the second row from the left and one in the fourth row at the back. I work on the basis of, when the plants are very young the less handling, the better. They soon sort themselves out.

When we transplanted those seedlings from the kitchen paper to the compost we didn't handle the plant at all. It was only the paper that was touched. I don't think that the young chillies are as sensitive as a lot of other seedlings but don't need to take the chance. So far 100% germination and 100% transplanting success, for the Shiney Hybrids. Nagas usually run at about 80% germination (sometimes a lot more) and 100% transplanting success.

As a general principal with us, when growing anything, we're careful when the plants are young. From then on, as we grow so much, it's 'fend for yourself' but we'll give you some attention when we can. :)

• Like Like x 3
                    • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
                      Ratings:
                      +16,246
                      That's like Mrs H with me :biggrin:

• Funny Funny x 2
                      • joh98.mac

joh98.mac Gardener

IT Stuff
                        Ratings:
                        +139
                        Thanks to you all. I like Loki's idea of using a small pot with a food bag. I think I shall plant the remaining seeds like that this weekend. As for the seed casing, I can't remove it without damaging the seedling, so I'll try the warm water trick too.

• Like Like x 1
                        • Friendly Friendly x 1
                        • joh98.mac

joh98.mac Gardener

IT Stuff
                          Ratings:
                          +139
                          Yes, the propagator has a lid. The method I use to 'guage' how much water they need is that when the inside of the lid loses its condensation, I wait for the morning after that, and use a spray bottle to gently moisten the surface of the earth.

• Like Like x 1
                          • Loki

Loki Total Gardener

Ratings:
                            +4,092
                            @joh98.mac
                            If it helps, I water my pot before sowing, let it drain, then sow the seeds and sprinkle compost on top. It does not get watered again before germination and usually not before pricking out.
                            I never spray/ mist.
                            As I've said before ' this is what works for me' I'm sure you'll find a way that ' works for you' :dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 1
                            • Agree Agree x 1
                            • joh98.mac

joh98.mac Gardener

IT Stuff
                              Ratings:
                              +139
                              So I decided to go with some less 'exotic' varieties. Popped to B&Q today and bagged some cayenne and some habanero. I took one of the actual trays inside the propagator (as opposed to small pots, which is what I've been using up to now), and filled it with compost. I then arranged the seeds in the compost and sprinkled some more compost on top. I then watered with a spray bottle, but got the earth quite wet.

Imgur

The tray is now back in the propagator, and I wait.

• joh98.mac

joh98.mac Gardener

IT Stuff
                              Ratings:
                              +139
                              What strikes me about that photo is how wet the earth looks. I never have my earth that wet.

Could this be what I'm doing wrong?