Chillies 2024

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by JWK, Jan 1, 2024.

1. Ademission

Ademission Super Gardener

Electronics Engineer
    Ratings:
    +659
    Hanglow,

Thanks for your kind comments.

When using hydroponics to grow chillies, the amount of food in the water determines the probability of aphids infestation. It seems to be a compromise between :-

1. Too much food = aphid infestation
    2. Too little food = poor growth but no aphids

Somewhere in the middle appears to be ideal. This theory is backed up by many articles I've read and many YouTube videos I've watched.

I suspect that the same theory can be applied to growing in compost.

Using either growing technique for chillies, the pH should be between 5.5 and 6.5, ideally 6.0 though it's harder to measure this when using soil.

I hope this information helps anyone with aphid problems.

For information on pot size, and bearing in mind my media is clay beads, I use both 11litre and 18litre pots.

Ademission

• Informative Informative x 1
    • waterbut

waterbut Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +89
      I put plastic domes on my pots when chilli plants go indoors at night and taken off when put out in the sun during the day. No problem with little beasties.

• Like Like x 1
      • DiggersJo

DiggersJo Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,088
        My single chilli plant, which I thought was one of the Basket of Fire (BoF) is looking more like the Poinsettia I had. It has 30-40 reasonable size chilli's on it, but I'd have preferred it was the BoF as they look nicer, better size and were hotter at the different stages. It's back in the house at the moment as it did not seem happy when it went out. Looking at the long range forecast it might get out in July!

• Like Like x 1
        • Hanglow

Hanglow Super Gardener

Ratings:
          +2,739
          I had a spare 30l pot in the converted shed so bought a couple of plants from b&q. I had tried at three different garden centres but there was nothing I wanted from them, rather disappointing.

So I bought "chocolate" which I assume is a habanero and Zimbabwe black, which looks rather fetching for a chilli pepper.

• Like Like x 3
          • Ademission

Ademission Super Gardener

Electronics Engineer
            Ratings:
            +659
            Hello all,

Just a few notes from the chilli greenhouse: -

1. I performed a full water change with new nutrient on all 3 water tanks. Reset the pH to 6.0.
            2. Addressed a small whitefly outbreak with Neem Oil. Worst affected were the Sweet Peppers.
            3. Put canes and interlinks into Jalapeno and Lemon Drop plants as they were spreading into the access isles between the tanks. Tied the wayward branches to the canes.

Photos with wine bottle for scaling......

Jalapenos.
            PXL_20240609_165632852.jpg

PXL_20240609_165706406.jpg
            Lots of fruit now starting to grow but not big enough yet for any harvesting.

Lemon Drop
            PXL_20240609_165730243.jpg
            Lemon Drops growing well but no fruit yet. These plants started slowly but have grown rapidly as the weather has warmed up.

Sweet Peppers
            Romano, California Wonder, King Of The North and Corno De Torro (2 of each).
            PXL_20240609_165800456.jpg
            Less growth on these but already showing decent size fruit. Star of the show is the California Wonder so far.

PXL_20240609_165824953.jpg

Regards

Ademission

• Like Like x 5