1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Chiltern Seeds

Discussion in 'Propagation This Month' started by Gay Gardener, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,089
    Hmm yes, see what you mean. I find the basket clunky to use as it requires several clicks to get back to where you were and continue browsing. I only use the basket for seeds as I try to make multiple purchases from one seller.

I am not too bothered by the lack of categories on individual sellers' pages as I generally search for something very specific by name, add the best value ones to my basket, then look to see which seller features strongly in my basket before making a purchase. Research is generally done by other means, after all. Over the season this method enables me to buy most seeds I want without spending too much on postage.

I agree some descriptions are woeful but this is a constant irritation on Ebay, not just with seeds. The upside with clothes (which I buy a lot of) is that badly described ones attract fewer bids so if you're canny there's scope for bargains. With seeds a full description can easily be obtained elsewhere. Also, some sellers' cultivation instructions are excellent, far better than Chiltern's, especially the private plantaholics.

2. longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +23,089
    I've just tried it and it's had a total facelift! Simple to use, adds to basket without going there until you are ready to checkout and so fast!

As far as cost, I'm happy to pay because of the choice and the high (so far) germination rates.

3. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    Sure ... adds to the time it takes to buy stuff though. I made that point mainly 'coz I'm surprised that Sellers appear to be happy to give the "I can't be bothered" impression. Fine for a seller trying to shift one or two clothing outfits a year, but its a turn-off for me for any site selling 10,000 items. people have clearly bought from them, but goodness knows if they know about seeds, or are just "box shifters" if they can't be bothered to properly describe anything.

Room for improvement I say :)

First link I tried (an accidental Click as it happens) was Trees : New varieties. Blank page displayed :( The site should suppress empty categories IMO.

Then looked at Flowers : New varieties. Changed to display ALL.

Then went to Flowers : Hardy Perennials (if you try to move the mouse diagonally from FLOWERS to the sub-menu Hardy Perennials it moves off that menu, you have to carefully move DOWN and then RIGHT <Sigh>) ... and its forgotten that I chose ALL so I have to re-choose that option again.

Choose a filter - Red flowers for example - and switch from Perennials to Annuals - its lost the filter and you have to reselect all the option criteria you are searching on.

After buying something I get a popup for CONTINUE SHOPPING. How annoying, it could just display something in the page to tell me the item had been successfully added to the basket and let me get on with scrolling / reading / buying.

Dunno if it is just me, or are you seeing this "white on grey" writing too? If so should have been picked up during proofreading

Chilterns.gif

No, sorry, its still "average" in my professional opinion. Probably cost them £X0,000's as well :(

• Like Like x 1
    • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +16,246
      I tend to agree with Madahhlia on this . I find Ebay very easy to search and purchase on , I seem to get the majority of my seeds from there now. I know lots on here like Chiltern seeds , but I did find them high cost . Then again they do have a huge range of seeds.

• Agree Agree x 1