1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Chocolate Cosmos Plant

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by Ystalyfera, May 7, 2022.

1. Ystalyfera

Ystalyfera Gardener

Ratings:
    +10
    Last year I bought a chocolate cosmos plant and when it died back I didn't do anything with the bulb (I'm assuming it was a bulb from what I read).

Anyway this year saw some green shoots reappearing so left it to do its thing

I've since become sceptical of what is growing so decided to lift it out of pot as it basically looks like a weed.

The roots look really thick so am confused. Can someone tell me whether I have been tending to a potted weed please....

16519416648331135345887504966984.jpg 1651941681499707962009602639411.jpg

2. Nikolaos

Nikolaos Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,289
    Haven't had one for years, but Cosmos atrosanguineus has tuberous roots, so that's perfectly fine! Trouble is I can't quite remember what the foliage looked like at such an early stage... :scratch:

Nick

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Ystalyfera

Ystalyfera Gardener

Ratings:
      +10
      Thank you for your response nick. It doesn't look like anything I imagined the plant did last year.

As you say tho those tuberous roots can't be from a self seeding weed surely..... it looked more like the plant when first sprouting but as its bushed out and not really grown in height I am doubting myself

• Michael Hewett

Michael Hewett Total Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +18,161
      The leaves look to me as if they are emerging from the tubers. The mature leaves should be pinnate but the young leaves of a plant are often unlike the mature ones.
      I'd plant it back and let it grow until you are sure what the mature leaves look like.

• Like Like x 2
      • Ystalyfera

Ystalyfera Gardener

Ratings:
        +10
        Thank you I will do this.

• Friendly Friendly x 1