1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Choice of plants for a cemetery plot

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by Reddwarf4ever, Jul 22, 2022.

1. Reddwarf4ever

Reddwarf4ever Apprentice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +12
    I have been advised that the following list of perennials are acceptable for our cemetery plot.
    Could you advise which is the hardiest or indeed the best choice, not sure how good availability is for any of them
    African Lily, Bears Breeches, Columbine, Cranesbill, Elephants Ears, Foxglove, Hardy Forget- me- not, Ice Plant, Jacobs Ladder, Ladys Mantle, Lupin, Musk Mallow, Primrose, Red Hot Poker.

the cemetery site will be returned to nature, which is why the restrictions
    Thank you

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,075
    I take it you are looking for something that will thrive when the area is naturalised?
    Not something I know much about but I'm sure others will help.

3. Perki

Perki Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +8,509
    If the grass isn't cut at all I'd probably go with canesbill ( geranium ) lots to pick from reliable and unlikely to be pushed out by others . if the soil is sandy the bears breeches ( Acanthus ) can make quite a statement and smoother its neighbours when established .

The only ones on your list I'd consider are the two I've mentioned and Combine ( Aquilegia ) - elephant ears (Bergenia ) / foxgloves / ladys mantle / primroses

4. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,193
    A lot depends on the site, is it sheltered woodland or open meadow, whereabouts in the uk? All those appear to be herbaceous perennials so will disappear over winter, something to bear in mind. Does the site get mown and are there rabbits? Sorry for all the questions but I like to plant on my relatives graves and those are some of the issues I consider. If allowed my choice is autumn flowering cyclamen as that is the time we visit. Being low growing the mowers don't touch them. They are very hardy and need no care. They are a target for rabbits and squirrels though.

Sounds like your list is for taller plants. I would go for something that will be in flower when you visit. My cousin does the same as me and plants forget me nots which quickly spread and flower spring and early summer, they look bedraggled after that though.