1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Christmas cactus

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by Celia, Oct 17, 2006.

1. gofoit2

gofoit2 Gardener

Gone past the age of working so just enjoying myse
    Ratings:
    +1
    I should add, I have had it about 5 years in the same pot, re-potting might help? It is going to be covered with lots of flowers again this year but it looks as if they will be white again.

Trevor

2. Scotkat

Scotkat Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +827
    My cacti going to be all past before xmas she is fully open now and sitting in my cool vestubule there is no heat ther at all only sunlight that would occasionly get through the glass in the door.
    But have had a lot of pleasure over the past weeks.

3. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    Trevor - it probably would, but for the time being, I'd just feed it. I've recently learned that they don't like being disturbed at all when they start to flower, so I've been exceptionally careful around mine! :D

After flowering, though, I'd go for it!!

4. Celia

Celia Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Here is a photo of my christmas cacti so far. As you can see I have managed to get more than the two original buds. But I have cheated a bit as there are no flowers at all round the back! The one on the right is an Easter cactus and has 1 flower so far. [​IMG]
    They don't usually live here. I had to move them when the builder said he was going to knock their window cill down. He didn't but I daren't move them again.

5. Celia

Celia Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    It's me again. I know from this thread that many of you put your cacti out for the summer and I thought that I would try it this year in order to increase the flower display which was pathetic last Christmas. What do I do? Do they need to be in a sheltered, shady spot or do they like the sun? Do I take them out of their pot covers? Do I need to water them particularly? Help!!!!!!

6. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,002
    I just put mine out in the shade, water it if I think about it, and give it a drop of tomato feed if I' m feeding the toms.
    Basically ALMOST forget it. :D

7. Celia

Celia Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Pete, I'll give it a go

8. Tropical Oasis

Tropical Oasis Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi they like shade, as they come from the jungle or rain forests so they grow under the canopy. If any sun gets to them the leaves go yellow and horrible. [​IMG]

9. Mel

Mel Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    My christmas cactus is rather confused at the moment - it has buds forming again!!!!!