1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Cistus pulverulentus in windy location

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by JBat, Jan 15, 2022.

1. JBat

JBat Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi there. Finally have my own garden and trying to figure out what to do. Small front garden is south facing. I'm not too far from the sea and on south coast so sometimes can be windy. Has anyone grown Cistus pulverulentus in a windy location? I love the flowers and the silvery leaves. Just not sure if it will be ok in the occasionally windy times? Can't quite find the answer anywhere. Thank you

2. Janet mahay

Janet mahay Gardener

Ratings:
    +611
    Hi
    cistus are among the most drought tolerant of shrubs. This, and their ability to thrive in poor, stony soil, makes them ideal for Mediterranean-style, coastal and gravel gardens. They're easy to grow, need little maintenance and flower abundantly all summer. But the flowers are short lived also although they are hardy its best to avoid very cold or windy site/s so i dont know how windy it can be but if not too bad you can always try it

ornamental grasses though are some of the most wind-tolerant plants around, and most require little watering. They can even serve as miniature windbreak plantings for less wind-tolerant plants
    You could also, consider the addition of small retaining wall/s or other barriers to protect plants affected by the wind. Wood fencing, mesh screens, and trellis panels can make effective wind buffers for plants.
    You can also create small, protected recesses within windy slopes or other areas of the wind garden. Simply dig out pockets for the plants to grow in and surround these with built up rocks or stones. To keep the wind from drying out the soil and help retain moisture, add an extra layer of mulch as well.

3. JBat

JBat Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1

Thank you, thanks given me some good ideas and things to think about! Thanks again

4. noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +14,405
    Just checked on Olivier Filippi's site https://jardin-sec.com/ and he reckons it's fine by the sea :) 'Embruns' are cold, salt-laden winds.....

5. JBat

JBat Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1

Thank you!

• Like Like x 1