1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

cleaning greenhouse

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by islayhawk, Feb 28, 2012.

1. islayhawk

islayhawk Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    absent Employers have asked me to tend to their garden which has a small greenhouse. The greenhouse has two beds in it- my problem is that I want to disinfect the greenhouse which is in a sorry state. Is there any disinfectant which would not be harmful to the soil or would I be better to remove the topsoil, cover the beds and refill with fresh after cleaning

islayhawk

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,184
    A lot depends on what you intend to grow in the soil this year. If it was tomatoes last year and you intend to grow them again, I'm afraid the best thing is to dig out the soil and exchange it for some fresh. This is what I do. Also I use Jeyes fluid diluted in a garden spray to clean the insides, glass and frame. You need to leave it a couple of weeks after cleaning before growing any plants in there.

• Like Like x 1
    • islayhawk

islayhawk Gardener

Ratings:
      +4
      It was Jeyes fluid I had in mind to use. Tomatoes were grown in grow bags last year. I was more concerned about the effects of the disinfectant on the soil - but if it doesnt have any long term effects then that is fine

islayhawk

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +46,184
      Jeyes fluid won't hurt the soil, in fact it used to be used as a soil disinfectant (but has been banned from that use now). I used to use it to sterilize the soil in my greenhouse borders but you needed quite a large dose to work. It will scorch any green plants so you need to empty the greenhouse first.

• ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
      +100,836
      I've only just cleaned out my Green House [within the last 3 days]. I used a sprayer and Jeyes fluid on the glass and frames inside and out. The following day I cleaned the glass with ordinary cleaner in water to get rid of the haze that Jeyes Fluids tends to leave. I don't have soil in the Green House. As JWK rightly says Jeyes Fluid won't harm the soil and is quite safe to use.:thumbsup::D

• Bluedun

Bluedun Gardener

Layabout
      Ratings:
      +37
      I use Armilatox sold now as a cleaning agent.

Any consolation I also put 10mm into a watering can when watering plants, have used this method for years with no ill effects.

Trevor

• Like Like x 2