1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Cleaning up the rhubarb's plot

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Black Dog, Feb 4, 2021.

1. Black Dog

Black Dog Gardener of useful things

It's a secret
    Ratings:
    +1,136
    Moin everyone

Together with the house we bought, we inherited a splendid rhubarb plant. It seems to have grown there for years and years with roots going down into the ground water, providing us with a steady supply of fresh dessert during last spring.

But it also sits amidst a large number of its own offspring, shooting out of the ground all around it, covering the soil and preventing it from even more greatness. The plot allocated is about 120x160cm and surrunded by concrete plates serving as a walkway.

Are there any tipps out there on how to remove all the smaller plants which have accumulated over the past years without uprooting the big one?

Is it even necessary?

PS:. I would provide pictures, bit during this time of year I am afraid there wouldn't be much to see

2. mazambo

mazambo Forever Learning

Ratings:
    +3,718
    By no means an expert on rhubarb I got my first ever plants last year. I'm not sure if you can lift and plant the offshoots but I think it's recommended to split the main plant every 5 - 6 years to keep it healthy.

3. Black Dog

Black Dog Gardener of useful things

It's a secret
    Ratings:
    +1,136
    You are indeed right, although 5-6 years sounds awfully short as it then need another year to acclimate to be new spot.

Problem is: it is already sitting at the perfect spot, well rooted in. Full blasting sun after 10am and a steady supply of ground water.

4. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +21,271
    Rhubarb like good deep soil and plenty of water. They are hungry plants and require a good feed every year, mulch as well, well rotted manure is best, but a handful of general purpose fertiliser and a mulch of well rotted garden compost will work.
    I would remove the small plants you dont want with a sharp spade.
    As for the main plant if it's growing strongly and looks healthy I would leave it. I have seen patches that must be decades old growing well in old gardens and allotments.
    Rhubarb gin or vodka is another use as is jam either by itself or with strawberries.

• Funny Funny x 1