1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Clematis and climbing

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by toppington, Mar 26, 2016.

1. toppington

toppington Tiny garden, always on the cheap!

Ratings:
    +1,179
    Afternoon all, I've managed to pick up some very cheap Clematis from ASDA this morning and would like to plant it out in the garden soon. I am a total newbie but hopefully will be able to do the planting bit ok!

My question revolves more around climbing! I don't have the money to purchase a trellis at the moment, I was thinking of using some bamboo cane and twine and making a cheapo version myself... However, will the clematis need the support right from the day it's in the ground, or would it be OK to plant it out and then put some contraption in for it to support itself on later? I will be planting it next to a thick wooden fence, will it be able to support itself on this also for the start?

It is Mrs N Thompson variety, around 25cm tall already but has been purchased with a small cane in it and has grown a couple of tendrils wrapping around this.

If anyone has any other ideas of things I can use for it to grow on that would be fab, thank you in advance!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Super Lucyjin

Super Lucyjin dinnae fash yersel

Ratings:
      +353
      If you're putting it next to a wooden fence, you could always bang a few nails into the fence for the clematis to twine around? Or, alternatively, to loop some string/twine to provide ropes for it to twine around)! I think I vaguely remember my Mum doing that on a stone wall where she couldn't really fit a trellis, but there were some old nails sticking out.

Or maybe you could get a pack of large-ish cable nails, and nail cheap bamboo cane to the fence in a rough home made trellis? A multi-pack of cable nails is only a couple of quid, usually!

I'm afraid I can't help with advice on how much support it'll need in its youth (I'm a noob too), but I imagine you'd want to have its support in place fairly early so you can "train" it to go in the right direction? :scratch:

• Like Like x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
        +100,836
        Clematis "Mrs N Thompson"

upload_2016-3-26_20-25-45.jpeg

Hi toppington, if you're planting the Clematis then my advice would be to plant it as deeply as the existing growth will allow as an aid to prevent Clematis Wilt. If you could pick up a cheap trellis to put at the back of the Clematis it will climb it's way up that, otherwise without anything to get a grip on it will probably just flop over the border.

"Early large-flowered group. Flowers deep purple-blue with a scarlet bar. Larger flowers on last year’s growth in May-June and smaller flowers in July-September. 6-8’. Prune light (2). Zones 4-9.

Treat as a Perennial - it tends to grow best over several years (approx 3 years and greater). Mrs. N. Thompson is known for its Vine habit and growing to a height of approximately 2.44 metres (7.93 feet).
        Mrs. N. Thompson Clematis is normally fairly low maintenance and is normally quite easy to grow, as long as a level of basic care is provided throughout the year. Being aware of the basic soil, sun and water preferences will result in a happier and healthier plant."

• Like Like x 3
        • Informative Informative x 1
        • martin-f

martin-f Plant Hardiness Zone 8b

Ratings:
          +10,302
          I've covered my fence in pea netting and bamboo near the top, i will have to use wire next year when they get hold better , i have around 18 plants on this run of fence along with a fair few everlasting sweet peas.
          IMG_0143.JPG IMG_0144.JPG IMG_0145.JPG

• Like Like x 4
          • Useful Useful x 2
          • Ian Taylor

Ian Taylor Total Gardener

Maintenance Manager, Oddfellows on the Park.
            Ratings:
            +2,751
            I wouldn't even think about putting that clematis out yet, it will only be whats called a liner.
            I would pot it on so that it gets a better root system.
            I buy these clematis from my local Morrisons for £1.75 a clematis, to grow on for 12 months then I plant them out.
            Up to now I've bought 12 this year, has soon as I got them home I chop them back so it sends up more stems.
            Has for what to grow it up bamboo canes would be ok for now.

• Like Like x 2
            • Agree Agree x 2
            • toppington

Ratings:
              +1,179
              Thank you all for the brilliant suggestions! I was a bit worried about putting it outside for now due to the winds and thought it might get a bit blown about!

@Super Lucyjin - loads of awesome ideas, thank you! Nails and twine is a good idea.

@ARMANDII - I had been reading up and watching some YouTube videos about planting Clematis and being sure to put it in as deep as possible too. Thank you for the tip!

@martin-f ooh, netting or wire is brilliant, hadn't thought of that so may see what there is in the shed to play with for later!

@Ian Taylor - aha! It is only really small for a plant- about 25cm tall and only in a 3 inch diameter pot. looking at people's videos online their potted clematii (!?) are a lot larger. It was £3 for two in Asda so they are potentially the same thing! I am guessing they are OK to grow outside in a pot (potted on to a larger one) but do you have any more tips for growing? Also- how far should they be cut back? I don't want to make it too unhappy!

If anyone else has any pictures to share or clematis stories that would be lovely too! :)

• Like Like x 2
              • Friendly Friendly x 1
              • Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
                +2,830
                Toppington: I agree that these tiny clematis's are not fit for planting out in the garden yet: they are really just rooted cuttings. Most of the reputable growers sell 2 year old plants in 2 or 3 L pots. As Ian says, grow them on for at least a year first. What varieties are they, by the way?

• Like Like x 1
                • Ian Taylor

Ratings:
                  +2,751
                  Hi @toppington these plants are only about 1 year as @Redwing has said most growers sell 2 year old plants in 2-3 Ltr pots.
                  It would be ok potted on outside.
                  I would cut it back to about 12 inchs, but if its outside I would wait will no frosts.
                  Ive been growing clematis for a few years now my avator is a Clematis repans.

• Like Like x 2
                  • toppington

Ratings:
                    +1,179
                    @Redwing thank you very much for that info too- they are both Mrs N Thompson which I liked the look of the bright flowers of! I shall pot them on to larger pots and encourage them to grow in their small way! :)

@Ian Taylor thank you again, very useful and helpful! We're not quite past the no frosts part yet here (had a couple last week) so will wait a while and hopefully give it a good chance!

When potting on should I also put it a bit deeper in, like you should when olanting in the ground, or is the same level in a larger pot ok?

• "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
                    +31,885
                    In February (22nd to be precise :heehee: ) 2013, I bought some small clematis from Morrisons:-

CIMG0002.JPG
                    I put two of the plants in the pot you see them pictured in (and another two in a matching pot) and left them outside to their own devices.

Four months later in June 2013, I had the first flower to boast of:
                    CIMG0012 (800x600).jpg

By July, yet another had flowered:

DSCF6369 (360x640).jpg

Still not remarkably tall, but then they came from a very small plant and it was their first year outside.

We moved in 2014 and they had remained in their pots and had reached a good 6 foot.

Last year, June 2015, still in their pots:-
                    CIMG0002.JPG

The other week they were given their final position, in the ground, where they are to stay. I trimmed them down at the top (so may lose out on some flowers this year), but took a photo of their (3yr old) root system. Not pot bound, but may well have been if I hadn't got them in the ground:-

CIMG0009 (1024x797).jpg

So, in my experience, although they are small plants that you have, you can pot them up outside and they should be ok. Quite hardy plants. But the same advice as if you put them in the ground: plant deep (I gave mine a 2in bark mulch in the pot), keep moist, try to keep the pot in the shade and the tops in the sun.
                    I didn't feed mine in the first year; 2nd and 3rd year used a liquid fertilizer.

Supports: You may just make out, on the last picture and to the right, a small metal "support" which the clematis were given when they first went into the pots. Possibly you can make it out in the 2nd picture too :heehee: That was just to get them started, but the pot was positioned with a heavy duty trellis a couple of feet further up. They loved that!

When I moved here (2014) I had to fashion a support out of plastic mesh around the space above the top of the pot, held in place with bamboo canes pushed into the pot. Looked a right mess ... until the clems covered it all :heehee:

At the very basic you could use horizontal twines attached to nails.
                    Clematis likes to twine around things and make use of other supports. And that includes other plants, so if you have a shrub handy nearby to where you wish to plant out your clematis, think about using that.
                    I discovered last year, a clematis growing up through a Choisya "Aztec Pearl" in my garden; that makes a nice display because the clematis flowers after the Spring flowers of the Choisya and the Choisya then has a second flush after the clematis has finished: win, win! :thumbsup:
                    Here's the clematis in the Choisya taken June 2015 :
                    CIMG0009.JPG

Hope that has given you some inspiration @toppington :)

• Like Like x 6
                    • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
                      +31,885
                      Sorry to contradict you @Ian Taylor, but, I don't believe it does need any cutting back and certainly not this year. If I could highlight Our Mandy's post:
                      They fall into Pruning Group 2 which means they can be cut back to a pair of new growth buds in late Winter/early Spring. So, next year at the earliest for this particular plant, I would say.

• Like Like x 1
                      • Agree Agree x 1
                      • Ian Taylor

Ratings:
                        +2,751
                        But thats for a more established plant not a rooted cutting, I dont let my young clematis flower has I a stronger root system.

• Like Like x 1
                        • Agree Agree x 1
                        • Friendly Friendly x 1
                        • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
                          +31,885
                          Ah, ok, that's interesting. Obviously, I don't have a comparison to post, so no idea which method is more production in terms of a strong root system :dunno:

All I can say is, from my personal experience, I've had no problems with achieving a strong root system by popping those small supermarket ones into a pot, leaving it to do its own thing and not fretting over it :heehee: This year (after 3yrs) is the first time any of them were given a chop and that is only because they were being put into the ground (at long last!) and as you can see from Post #10, they have a very healthy, strong root system.

Each to his/her own I guess and no doubt @toppington will decide which route to take depending on her own preferences :)

• Like Like x 1
                          • Ian Taylor

Ratings:
                            +2,751
                            Thats the beauty of gardening its not a exact science, what works for someone could not work for someone else .
                            We learn all the time gardening.
                            I just go off what I've learnt through trial and error.
                            And speaking to other growers.

• Like Like x 2
                            • Agree Agree x 1
                            • Friendly Friendly x 1
                            • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
                              +100,836
                              Well, I certainly wouldn't cut back a young Clematis during it's first year of being planted for several reasons which are basic plant biology [a] a young plant will need all it's foliage so that it can use the process of photosynthesis of converting sun/day light to sugars giving it the energy to develop roots and further growth. cutting it back now when it's Spring and the start of plants growing on would only set it back. There are other reasons but it's best to keep it simple. For me planting any Clematis deeply is essential and then, if in soil that doesn't retain moisture well, it helps to place flat stones around planting area to help keep the roots cool and keep moisture in that area.:coffee::snorky:

I guess we all learn from errors and our mistakes, but gardening is a lifelong learning game which, at the very least, makes life interesting.:doh::snork:

• Like Like x 2