1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Clematis and climbing

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by toppington, Mar 26, 2016.

1. toppington

toppington Tiny garden, always on the cheap!

Ratings:
    +1,179
    Ooh, a clematis debate! Given my complete new-ness to gardening of any kind, I will just be letting them go to their own devices in a pot for now.

@"M" - that is an amazingly comprehensive help with what they may look like when growing, especially with the pictures, thank you very much! The garden here has no shrubs- it is only a rental property, the landlord is fine with plants being added/garden being made nicer, but I will need to fashion something for them to grow up (and potentially be removed from if I need to move!) but there is nothing for them at the moment.

@Ian Taylor - thank you for the advice too! Things seem to grow and my aim is to try and work out how to make them grow whilst looking after them a bit too!

@ARMANDII - oh that is a brilliant idea for helping to keep the roots in the shade too, with stones! The garden is a bit shady although there are bits which catch more sun so I will be positioning them in a place with a bit of sun but may use your rock trick too! Thank you!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +31,885
      You are very welcome :spinning: Took me a little longer to put together than my usual posts :heehee:

I take quite a few pictures of my plants/garden, partly for threads such as "Recent Purchases", or "What's looking Good" but also because it reminds me just how much I have achieved, what worked, what didn't and what I've learned, since I came to GC. Mr "M" thinks I'm barmy photographing the plants, but hey, I'm barmy when I'm not taking photo's so nothing new there :heehee:

• ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
      +100,836
      upload_2016-3-28_20-0-14.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 1
      • luciusmaximus

luciusmaximus Total Gardener

Lost in the Wilderness
        Ratings:
        +6,899
        Very interesting thread! I bought 2 Clematis last year from local garden centre. Stuck them in 2 pots and planted some Cottage Pinks and Lavender around the Clematis. I did not plant Clematis very deep as didn't realise I was supposed to. Both pots were in full Sun. Clematis grew better than I had expected and we had some flowers. Come the autumn I chopped both back to soil leave - oops!. Again didn't know better. Both have sprouted though and are about 6 _12 inches high at moment. After reading all the advice on here it's amazing I didn't kill them. Also have another 2 pots also planted up with another 2 Clematis,which I did last month. Planted same as others,hopefully they will survive _ I'm ever optimistic.

• Like Like x 2
        • Friendly Friendly x 1
        • luciusmaximus

luciusmaximus Total Gardener

Lost in the Wilderness
          Ratings:
          +6,899
          From looking at M's lovely photos I realise now that I'm going to be needing much larger pots too :snorky:

• Agree Agree x 1
          • Funny Funny x 1
          • Friendly Friendly x 1