1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Clematis 'Nelly Moser' issue

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Kevin Cowans, Oct 8, 2019.

Tags:
  1. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,932
    Far be it from me to get involved in a clematis thread, but I did have a "nelly moser" for many years.
    It was always a weak grower, and struggled some years until it finally expired.;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Kevin Cowans

Kevin Cowans Super Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,065
      Hello @ARMANDII

Just a quick update on the 'Nelly Moser'.

I just noticed this morning that there seems to be new growth appearing, it is only approximately 10mm tall at the moment but it is green and looks healthy.

Hopefully it will continue to grow now the warmer weather is here.

Thanks

Kevin

• Like Like x 1
      • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
        +100,836

:hapfeet::hapydancsmil::yes:

• Kevin Cowans

Ratings:
        +1,065
        Hello @ARMANDII

It looks as though the new sprout has brought his friends along, Mr Fork and Mr Leaf :)

The growth has also more than doubled in height so it looks like it is going to recover, hopefully I did not just jinx it :sad:

I will be setting up the wire trellising for the various Clematis, Pyracantha and Honeysuckle soon, I should of done it sooner but circumstances stopped me from doing so.

I will be using the Gripple Trellising System along with Concrete Post Wire Anchors so I do not have to attach to the actual wooden fences.

When I setup the wire trellising, how far apart should the horizontals be?

I have read between 12" and 18" but I find that kind of guidance confusing, is one better than the other?

Thanks in advance

Kevin

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
        +100,836
        Hi Kevin, my apologies for the delay in replying, but I've been very busy and trying to be in several places all at the same time but not succeeding:dunno:

No, you did just the right thing, as proved by the Clematis growing on.:love30::thumbsup:

Okay, the thing is, Kevin,
        Okay, try not to worry about exactness in measurements:dunno: Both 12" and 18" are just as good as the other but, in this case, I would recommend 12" to make it easier for the plants to reach because of the shorter distance between wires. The thing is, Keven, when gardening you have to think like a plant:heehee: so plants like Clematis like to wind their stems around things like Trellis and mesh, whereas Pyracantha is normally self supporting, and Honeysuckle will climb in any direction if not tied to a support and trained in the direction you want it to go. So each plant has a different way of growing.

:cat-kittyandsmiley::coffee:

• Kevin Cowans

Ratings:
        +1,065
        Hello @ARMANDII

Thanks for the reply.

No need to apologise for being late :)

I tend to perceive time differently to most, apparently connected to my Autism, something called Chronoception.

I did not even realise is was Easter Weekend until my Sister wished me a Happy Easter :)

The Clematis seems to be growing everyday now, I assume because now the shoots are above ground they are in full sun etc.

When I setup the wire trellis I will aim for the horizontals to be 12" apart, I am hoping to train the Pyracantha as I want it to cover an area of fencing, the same applies for the Honeysuckle.

Thanks for your help, it is appreciated.

Kevin

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • ARMANDII

Ratings:
          +100,836
          You're more than welcome, Kevin.:thumbsup:

• Kevin Cowans

Ratings:
          +1,065
          Hello @ARMANDII

I hope you are well.

It looks as if I have new growth appearing on all of the Clematis in the Back Garden so hopefully they will all grow well this year.

However, the Clematis 'Nelly Moser' in the Front Garden that disappeared earlier last year has not shown any sign of growth at all since it disappeared.

So, I am thinking that I need to buy a new one to replace it.

When would be the best time to plant the Clematis and is there anything I need to be aware of since there was one already planted in the same location?

Thanks in advance

Kevin

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
          +100,836
          @Kevin Cowans

Good morning Kevin, it's good to hear that most of your Clematis are starting to show Spring growth.:hapydancsmil:
          Unfortunately, not all Clematis, no matter what variety, will make it for many reasons. I, in the early years of gardening and planting Clematis, lost a few Clematis but, rarely, lose any newly planted ones these days. I actually have nine Clematis sitting in pots over last Winter on the outside Potting Table. They have withstood the freezing, wet and windy conditions and are happily showing new growth and waiting for me to plant them in the garden, so they're mostly very hardy and easy to grow.
          If you want to remove the old Clematis and replant with another one there is no reason why you shouldn't. Clematis don't suffer from soil sickness, as Roses do, and so you can safely plant another Clematis.
          The weather is getting warmer now and so you can plant Clematis now if you want, especially if the Clematis is showing signs of putting out new growth. When you take out the old Clematis just check to see if the drainage was reasonable as Clematis, while liking cool damp roots, don't like sitting in bad draining soil. Then make sure that you are planting the new Clematis deeper, by about 3 or 4 inches, than the pot, firm the soil around it and, if you can, sprinkle some Blood, Fish and Bonemeal around the planting site. Then some Sunshine, some warmth will ensure that Clematis will grow on nicely. let us all know how you get on.:thumbsup:

• Like Like x 2
          • Informative Informative x 1
          • Kevin Cowans

Ratings:
            +1,065
            Hello @ARMANDII

Thanks for the reply, and the tips. it is appreciated.

Kevin

• Like Like x 1
            • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +4,203
              The one in the front garden that has not appeared, if you do dig it up, do so carefully as often one area of the garden can be a month or so behind other areas; you might find signs of new shoots still below the surface.

• Like Like x 2
              • Agree Agree x 1
              • Kevin Cowans

Ratings:
                +1,065
                Hello @ricky101

Thanks for the tip, however, this particular Clematis disappeared in early 2020 and has shown no signs of life since.

I shall be careful when digging the area though, as you never know :)

Thanks

Kevin

• Like Like x 2
                • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +14,332
                  Just to add....I'm pretty sure that Nelly Moser is reputed to do better in shade than full sun. Not so much a cultural issue as the flowers fading badly without a bit of shade. Same goes for the 'red' varieties.

• Like Like x 2
                  • Agree Agree x 1
                  • Kevin Cowans

Ratings:
                    +1,065
                    Hello @noisette47

Sorry, I missed your reply.

The planting position for the 'Nelly Moser' in the Front Garden does face South East, however, the house is in the way and so it is in Partial Shade for most of the day and gets a bit of sun from the West later in the day.

Thanks

Kevin

• Like Like x 1
                    • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                      +14,332
                      That sounds ideal, Kevin :) I hope it does come back, but if not, good luck with the replacement!