1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Clematis to grow through dwarf apple trees

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Victoria Plum, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Victoria Plum

Victoria Plum Gardener

Ratings:
    +43
    I have two dwarf apple trees at the side of my house which I would like to grow clematis through. I only recently discorvered you could do such a thing, and I'm quite taken with the idea because the trees make a divide between the front and back garden, and can therefore be seen from both gardens.

I have looked into clematis a little, as I want to cover a chain link fence also. I want quick cover there though, so have gone for clematis montana. Speed isn't necessarily such a factor in the apple tree area.

The trees are planted together and are about 6 foot tall, but quite widely spreading. Theres plenty for a climber to get scrambling through.

From what I gather there are 3 groups of clematis, and group 3 is the summer flowering kind. Not sure if I am correct so please don't worry about telling me I am wrong! I would quite like summer flowers, as the trees look pretty covered in blossom in spring, and one comes to flower quicker than the other. The position is pretty much sun all day, although it is quite a sheltered spot.

Can anyone suggest any summer flowering clematis that would be happy to climb through a small tree?

2. Scotkat

Scotkat Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +827
    Victoria I have clematis growing through all my garden in different parts and through different trees .

Also clematis in hanging baskets.

3. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Take your pick of colour and flowers you like - read a few labels on clematis for sale in the Garden Centre.

They might smother the dwarf apple trees though eventually!

4. Victoria Plum

Victoria Plum Gardener

Ratings:
    +43
    So pretty much any clematis will do it, if the habitat is right? I didn't know if you had to be careful about which ones would do the job without damaging the tree. I haven't had clematis until this year so am a novice!

5. has bean counter

has bean counter Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    nope. You must choose a clematis that is:

a) non-rampant, and

b) that you cut back to the ground in the autumn.

otherwise your trees will be smothered, your apples non-existant and an increase in disease.

Personally, I dont like this idea as apples require an open structure to let the air move and light in. It is ok iin old apple trees that are kept for their looks rather than apple production.

but never montana or an evergreen - go for a summer flowering and one that reaches only 6' or so - if you must

6. Victoria Plum

Victoria Plum Gardener

Ratings:
    +43
    I'm afraid I must.. :hehe:

The apple trees are indeed old trees

I think group 3 get cut down to about a foot each year

7. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Yes, Group 3 gets cut down in late winter, to within a foot of the ground.

8. Blueroses

Blueroses Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
  9. Victoria Plum

Victoria Plum Gardener

Ratings:
    +43
    I have just looked it up and it is very beautiful. If you don't find it smothering then that is a good indication. Exactly why I love this forum, to get other peoples experiences.

I will put it top of my list to look at, when I go for my spree at the weekend!