1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Climbing roses- Iceberg or Starlight symphony?

Discussion in 'Roses' started by Selleri, Mar 20, 2019.

1. Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
    +7,684
    What do you think, which one is better? Or can you recommend something else?

Starlight Symphony
    Iceberg

It will go on a 1.9m tall obelisk as a focal point in the front bed. The bed gets morning and midday sun, and the soil is clay improved with a lot of rotted manure and compost.

I'd like to have bright white flowers, as long flowering season as possible, and not too much trouble with diseases. I'm not in a hurry to buy but would like to make notes in case I get lucky when Morrisons get their roses in. :)

Thanks very much!

2. wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,884
    Good evening @Selleri my friend my personal choice would be "Iceberg"its a good all rounder,reliable and would ideally suit your conditions and location:smile:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Sandy Ground

Sandy Ground Total Gardener

Making things of note.
      Ratings:
      +5,368
      @Selleri Being a bit pedantic, its Iceberg Climbing not Iceberg. For your application I too would agree with @wiseowl

If the obelisks were taller, then I would have added Ilse Krohn Superior to that list. Strongly scented, repeat flowering, but grows to 3 metres if my memory serves.

• Like Like x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
        +7,684
        Thanks! So Iceberg Climbing (that sounds vaguely environmentally wrong to me :th scifD36:) 2, Symphony 0. :)

Being new to obelisks, do you think I could cram in an early flowering Clematis as well?

• lolimac

lolimac Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +4,988
        It's Iceberg for me too.:dbgrtmb:
        As for the Clematis,the only snag with early flowering clematis they can get large quite quickly and I fear they may over power your Iceberg (or which ever you choose).I can recommend Clematis 'Princess Kate'..Delicate flowers which I think would compliment the iceberg...plus it's a group 3 Clematis so nice and easy to chop back early spring.:blue thumb:

• Like Like x 1
        • Useful Useful x 1
        • KFF

KFF Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +5,890
          Iceberg for me as well. As some people on here know it's my favourite Rose ever ( Hot Chocolate comes second ).

• Like Like x 2
          • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +4,204
            Well following this thread I also decided to go for a climbing Iceberg, but not sure if I bought the right one ?

Its a small point but would be interested in opinions.

The good old nursery I regularly visit had several pot grown ones, all cut back to about 9-12" with healthy looking buds on them.

However, one type had two well spaced thick stems from the base and the other type had three, well spaced somewhat thinner stems from the base, which type is the better, or no difference ?

• wiseowl

Philosophy of people
            Ratings:
            +89,884
            Good morning @ricky101 my friend my personal choice would have been as it is a climber the Rose which had two well spaced thick stems from the base;):smile:

• Like Like x 2
            • Agree Agree x 1
            • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +4,204
              Hi Woo,

Darn ! got the wrong one then, thought three healthy stems would be better if a little less strong.

Expect it will just take a little longer to grow as well, hopefully get there in the end with plenty of tlc.

Thanks again.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
              • wiseowl

Philosophy of people
                Ratings:
                +89,884
                Good evening @ricky101 my friend no you didn't get the wrong one in actual fact by choosing 3 canes you have given your self more choice,just see how the canes progress and we can see what is what,and just maybe remove the weaker and wrong directional cane,enjoy your evening my friend you have a really great Rose there and for just a few pounds it will give you years of beauty and rewarding satisfaction:smile:

• Like Like x 4
                • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +4,204
                  Hi again,

Our Iceberg is going up against a low 1.4m solid fence with trellis above to a max height of about 2.5m. and about 2.6 m in width in an otherwise openish aspect.

While this year we will be adding a variety of annuals to give a bit of quick cover and colour we are looking to add some more perennial types.

Any suggestions please as to which other plants would look good against the Iceberg.

We were thinking of Honeysuckles as they do give a lot of leaf cover and do have a 2 year old one already in position and another in a pot, though a bit put off by Gardeners Question time last Sunday as they really knocked them due to their short flowering period.

Coverage over winter is also something we want and Winter Jasmine seems an obvious choice but know they can be slow /reluctant to flower and can have a rather straggley habit.

The evergreen clematis again seem an obvious one but have only grown the summer types so not sure how good or hardy they are for Yorkshires climate ?

thanks

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +52,610
                  Take a look at Taylors Clematis @ricky101 . They have a list where you can choose the type you need. Aspect, evergreen, time of flowering and hardiness etc. :)

• Like Like x 1
                  • Agree Agree x 1
                  • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                    +4,204
                    Yes, thanks a very helpful site, actually not that far away, though a shame they are not fully open to the public.

This Cirrhosa Freckles winter flowering one has caught our eyes, though many others to check out. :smile:

001527.jpg

• Like Like x 2