1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Clueless about repotting Lupin seedlings...

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by PhilC, Apr 4, 2020.

1. PhilC

PhilC Gardener

Ratings:
    +39
    Hi,

2 weeks ago I've bought a pack of mixed lupin seeds. They've all started to shoot now but haven't got any true leaves yet (I can just see buds)

I'd put 2 seeds in one tiny seed tray so I'm a little unsure when it's best to separate seedlings like this in general due to potential damage if I leave them too long or even separate and pot them too early.

lupin.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Cuttings

Cuttings Super Gardener

Horticulturalist
      Ratings:
      +1,200
      2 things, firstly it looks like you used a multi purpose compost, which has too many nutrients for seed, too many nutrients means you get leggy top growth on Lupin seeds.
      Secondly the soil looks too wet, again you need the soil just moist, in order to get the seed to germinate, but only damp in order to get the roots roots to go looking for nutrients, therefore creating a bigger rootball.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • PhilC

PhilC Gardener

Ratings:
        +39
        Thanks for the reply. I have a tendency to just water everything at the same time so will start watering them less. So for when I repot these shortly am I best to repot them using peat instead as I have that here too? I just avoid using that usually as it seems to stay wet forever.

• mazambo

mazambo Forever Learning

Ratings:
        +3,718
        There is a system for growing from seed for simple people like myself, for example john innes has compost from seed growing to adult plants, it starts seed, no1, no2 and no3 you start in seed compost, when ready move into no1 compost, when ready move into no2 compost and when mature move into no3 compost, that is generalisation and other plants may need different types of compost but it is a good rule to follow.

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +52,610
        I've never used anything but multi purpose compost for all my seed growing including Lupins, and never had a problem with leggy seedlings or damping off. The leggy top growth is due to light or heat issues.

Peat will hold water more that multi purpose compost, if it was me I'd continue with that. Plant each seedling in a separate pot as they will need more individual space as they grow.

• Agree Agree x 3
        • PhilC

PhilC Gardener

Ratings:
          +39
          Thanks. I did germinate these in a dark warm cupboard so maybe that caused this initially. I'll make sure I separate them all when repotting

• Friendly Friendly x 1
          • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
            Ratings:
            +6,097
            I respect my friend's (cuttings) comment. However MPC-multi purpose compost can be made up of all sorts of wastage. Then usually a combination of chemicals is added, usually providing about six weeks of feed.

Yes the photo does indicate perhaps, to some, too wet. Never mind. The seedlings are in what is known as the cotyledon stage, just two imature leaves. These will go once growth really gets going... May I ? Larger seeds, such as beans peas and in this case Lupins. Prior to sowing. Let them soak in water for 12-24 hrs. Then when you sow/plant them, set them deeper than usual seed sowing. A light spraying of water and stand them aside. Be cautious id starting them off on a windowsill. Light and radiator heat can play hell. Pricking out or potting up. Wait until there are at leat one, best two pair of true leaves.

• Like Like x 2
            • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
              +12,667
              Do you need all of them (as final plants)? If not I would just cut off the excess with scissors (pulling them will disturb their neighbour, but Lupins are pretty tough so would probably be fine). if you have any cells which have no seedling then I would move a spare to that (as below).

General rule for seedlings is to wait for the "first true" leaves before pricking out. That gives time for a reasonable amount of root to develop ... but not so much that there is a lot of root-breakage during pricking out.

I agree, they look like they aren't getting enough light and are stretching "leggy" as a consequence.

Lupins are part of the Legume family and will make their own Nitrogen fertiliser ... if multi-purpose is what you have got then stick to that, they aren't exactly famous for being fussy :)

• Like Like x 1
              • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +52,610
                I'm not saying that's wrong Phil but I've never felt the need to grow seeds in the dark. Most are under soil until they sprout.

They grow just as well without this but may take a few more days. Nature doesn't mollycoddle seeds or seedlings so I feel why waste our time, let nature do the work. :)

• Like Like x 1
                • Cuttings

Cuttings Super Gardener

Horticulturalist
                  Ratings:
                  +1,200
                  Please dont misunderstand me, if people use mpc for seeds, and it works well from them, thats great, I am not here to tell people tgey are doing it wrong. I do lots of talks to gardening clubs and associations (not this year though, they have all cancelled), and I get asked why, do I recommend a low nutrient seed and cutting compost, and not mpc, I show them the photo below, 2 cuttings of Calibrachoa, from the same plant, at the same time, in the same area of the glasshouse, with the same base heat, watered and fed at the same time, the only difference is, the plug on the left, has been planted in seived mpc, the one on the right a seed and cutting compost, time elapsed, 4 weeks, the amount of root growth, and top growth is obvious. If people want to use mpc, and are happy with the results, thats great.
                  IMG_20200406_194216.jpg

• Like Like x 1
                  • Agree Agree x 1
                  • Informative Informative x 1
                  • PhilC

PhilC Gardener

Ratings:
                    +39
                    That's ok. Last year I attempted to grow so many things half way through summer so had been too late. Also some things I'd planted took a while to germinate if at all so I thought I'd try germinating it all in my warm airing cupboard this year as a little experiment and remove them as soon as they shoot (also due to me not having much space under my lighting as I've got a little carried away haha.

• Like Like x 1
                    • PhilC

PhilC Gardener

Ratings:
                      +39
                      If possible I will try to split them as the first true leaves are now opening. I'm known to be a little heavy handed with plants with a tap root though

I think they'd only been in the cupboard for 2 days before I'd removed them (They germinated so fast!) so I'm hoping they'll be ok now I'm leaving them under the grow lights before they can be potted.

• PhilC

PhilC Gardener

Ratings:
                      +39
                      Are these two now okay for me to put into pots? 20200407_130659.jpg

• Cuttings

Cuttings Super Gardener

Horticulturalist
                      Ratings:
                      +1,200
                      I would leave it until you see a few roots, coming from the soil, through the bottom of the pot, andvthe top growth resembles a Lupin more.

• Agree Agree x 1
                      • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
                        +12,667
                        You're not the first ... nor the last ... :)

When you prick them out you can "bury" up to the seed leaves, that will correct some "legginess"