1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Coco coir for raised bed?

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by gatorsuf, Jun 15, 2015.

1. gatorsuf

gatorsuf Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    So I am looking to make my raised garden bed soil. My plan was to do 1/3 compost 1/3 perlite and 1/3 coco Coir.

My raised bed will take 1.77 cu yards total, so I was going to get 2 yards to have some extra.

Is it feasible to make that mixture with those little bricks of coco coir? Seems like it will take a ton of them. Not very economical...

Thoughts, opinions...

2. CharlieBot

CharlieBot Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,523
    In my experience coir doesn't allow for much root run and can become compacted. What are you planting in it?

3. longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +23,089
    More to the point what are you thinking of growing in it?

4. CharlieBot

CharlieBot Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,523
    What do you mean 'more to the point'?

5. longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +23,089
    Without knowing what is going in there it is hard to have any thoughts or opinions. I am assuming the the OP has no intention of using the blocks and will be using the ground stuff.

6. CreakyJoints

CreakyJoints Gardener

Ratings:
    +167
    Hi gatorsuf, you can buy those coir blocks in 5 kilo blocks. Each one when soaked expands to make approx 70 litres.
    I buy them from a seller on ebay who sells garden supplies. The 5 x 5kg blocks I have just bought cost only £24.95. Those 5 blocks make approx 350 litres of coir compost when soaked.

I have found that it improves the soil and helps to retain moisture. It has a neutral ph too so won't affect any plants that need acidic or alkaline soil. :)
    If you use it in pots or containers though, you'd have to feed the plants regularly as the coir doesn't hold nutrients.

• Informative Informative x 1