1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Comfrey Better than Proprietary Brand - Beechgrove

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Kristen, Sep 12, 2014.

1. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    They compared Comfrey and a proprietary brand (Bottle looked like Tomorite to me).

Comfrey won - free too:)

GC_Beechgrove2.jpg

GC_Beechgrove1.jpg

1m40s in

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
      +28,997
      Comfrey (nettle, etc.) water can be pasteurised in bottles and stored in the same way as cider, apple juice, etc. http://www.ciderworkshop.com/juicepasteurising.html

If I tried clamping veg the way they showed it would become a giant rat/mouse nest.

P.S. They had a nice crop of Cucamelons

cucamelons.jpg

• Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
      Ratings:
      +3,699
      There was never any chance of any feed beating Comfrey in a side by side battle (IMO), it really is that good and can be used in a number of ways so is versatile too. I have quite a big patch of it on my plot and always have a new bin full on the go.

In case someone reading this thinks of planting some Comfrey, DO NOT use seeds, instead buy comfrey root cuttings of the variety called "bocking 14". Comfrey puts it's roots down very deep and once it is growing it is nearly impossible to get rid of. Bocking 14 is a sterile plant and will not produce seeds to blow all over your garden and cause you problems.

Steve...:)

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Jungle Jane

Jungle Jane Middle Class Twit Of The Year 2005

Local Nutcase
        Ratings:
        +3,225
        I never had much success with Comfrey tea. Don't get me wrong the stuff is much better than the shop bought stuff but I used the comfrey tea on my tomato plants last year and the flavour was rubbish compared to stuffing the plant with comfrey leaves as a mulch and letting that rot down.

Also that smell! :eeew:

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
        +12,667
        That can be solved (if that is the right word!) by making a concentrate by compressing the leaves (e.g. in a vertical drainage pipe with a heavy-ish weight at the top, and a small-ish bore pipe at the bottom to release the liquid into a container. That doesn't smell and (perhaps?) has the additional benefit of being easier to keep until next season - providing Comfrey fertiliser early in the season before a potential crop of leaves, AND the steeping process, could be accomplished.

Some faff is "loading" the pipe though.

• Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
        +28,997
        It can get disgusting in hot weather

[​IMG]

And there's also the rat-tailed maggots that get in it (mine got so disgusting it killed the maggots!)

[​IMG]

• Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        Absolutely Steve:blue thumb:.....I steep mine and yes it's stomach churning but the left overs from last year I bottled and it wasn't quite as offensive.Same goes for Nettles too,I tested it on two different pots of N.Langsdorffii and the difference was amazing.It greened up plants in a matter of a couple of days:dbgrtmb:

• Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
        Ratings:
        +3,699
        Just a quick word about bottling Comfrey tea. It ferments, so leave bottle tops loose to avoid explosion, you don't want that stink sprayed everywhere!!

Steve...:)

• Informative Informative x 2
        • Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
          +12,322
          As far as I know they dont do any harm , [​IMG]

and look like this as adults ,
          This stocky hoverfly is the commonest 'drone' fly, so called because they mimic bee drones (male hive bees)

• Informative Informative x 1
          • Richard360

Richard360 Super Gardener

Bulider
            Ratings:
            +1,069
            I love both nettle and comfray last year I transplanted some lettuce and I was sulking like mad then I have a good nettle tea and within a day they was up all healthy and green now I use them all the time pumpkins love them too

• Agree Agree x 1