1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Compost bin for coal bunker

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Johnny, Apr 2, 2007.

1. Johnny

Johnny Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Councils across the country are selling compost bins cheap. We have one already for our garden but then I thought why not use one for the coal as well rather than a galvanised steel one that will rust. I've chosen the Eco Max 330. As 330 litres equals 330 kgs I should easily get in 3 x 50 kg sacks of coal and it has a handy door at the bottom.

Anyone else tried this idea?

[​IMG]

2. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    Johnny,I think the bin may 'ride' up with the pressure of the coal,I have had to stop ramming my compost down too much because the bin was lifting.

3. Johnny

Johnny Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm going to try and lay a concrete base inside to stop water penetrating the base. Worth a go as only costing �£9 inc delivery and bunkers cost around �£65. Tom Good eat your heart out :D :D Delivery in 28 days so will tell you then whether it works or not when we put the coal in. Seem pretty thick as well so can't imagine it splitting, but the door could be a problem.

4. windy miller

windy miller Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I had a metal coal bunker but it used to bow outwards with the weight of the coal so my Dad put re-inforcing metal struts inside it which seemed to do the trick!! :D
    I like you're ingenuity Johnny...got any other good ( and cheap) ideas????? [​IMG] :D :D

5. Johnny

Johnny Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I'll see if this one works first ;) Used an old dustbin for a water butt today under one of our drainpipes. One of the neighbours had just used it for rubbish and let it fill with water, smelt a bit when empting but should come in very handy. I also cut the side panel were the window was in my shed and it is now the doorway to our summerhouse [​IMG]

6. Johnny

Johnny Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Didn't even know it rained last night but the bin / rain butt was half full this morning!!! Wish I'd done this idea before. I just dunk my watering cans in and I have brilliant rain water on tap (or not!! LOL).

7. Johnny

Johnny Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone else have creative ideas for coal storage in their gardens as �£65 to �£100 for a metal or plastic ugly box in the garden seems a bit much for storage. Especially when you think B&Q etc do cheap sheds for around the same price!!!