1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Composter Problem

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by Paul Blackburn, Aug 22, 2021.

1. Paul Blackburn

Paul Blackburn Gardener

Ratings:
    +52
    I wondered if anyone on here had used one of the following
    green cone compost maker
    There is one in our back garden which was left by the previous owners.I tried to move once but was solid and so I left it.We are now doing our back garden up and would like to get rid of it but just cannot move it.Tried putting a crowbar under it but that did not work.Have just tried putting an old spade under it but all that seemed to do was break the walls.When you look into it there is nothing in it.Have just looked online for some imfo about it and it says it comes in two pieces one piece is buried in the ground and the cone fits on top or that's what it looks like.The only way I can think of is to get my sledgehammer out and break the cone up.Has anyone on here got any ideas.Thank's

2. flounder

flounder Super Gardener

RETIRED!!
    Ratings:
    +1,668
    A sledgehammer is good, with a reciprocating saw as back up

• Funny Funny x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +85,740
      Never come across one of these, but I'm guessing destroying it will probably be the best way.

• Informative Informative x 1
      • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
        +46,079
        I've had a green cone for years, our council were selling them very cheaply at one time. The upper double skin cone is screwed into a basket that is buried underground. The idea is you can put in food leftovers such as cooked meats that can't be put on a compost heap without attracting vermin. After unscrewing the top cone you should be able to see the below ground section, it goes down a couple of feet so roots and soil have probably grown through. I have moved mine a couple of times,, just using a spade.if you are not worried about breaking it a pick axe will get it out.

• Informative Informative x 1