1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Computers and me....GRRRRRRR!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Mike Allen, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
    Ratings:
    +6,097
    I am the first to admit. Computers and me don't get on. To say that this oldie has to rely upon my grand kids to sort my puter out.

Here's my latest headache. My service provider is Virgin. My email address is @ntlworld.com
    Daughter and grand kids are glued to their mobiles 24/7 at the time I could use the internet on the mobile, but I only want the mobile as a phone for emergencies. Grandson set up a gmail account on the moby for me. To cut back on expences I cancelled the internet ability on the mobile.
    Now on my desktop pc, I want to be able to use my gmail service as well as keeping my ntlworld.com
    Going online...yes I have a google account. I know that. Trying all that is offered at setting up a gmail account. Sorry that user name is already taken. I am now shouting at my computer. I know that you moron, that's me. All I want is to be able to use my gmail on my desktop.
    HELP! Stop the woorld. I want to get off.

2. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,510
    I'm just as useless. :noidea:

I'm assuming you have tried putting in your password as well. Have you tried putting in your email and then clicking on 'forgot password'? That usually works for me. They send a new link to my registered email address and ask me to 'change password'. :scratch:

Good luck :blue thumb:

Someone else will come along and advise you. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,206
      Hi,

"To cut back on expences I cancelled the internet ability on the mobile."

Not sure I follow what or why you have done that or how much it could save you , if anything at all.
      My Virgin monthly Sim Only cost just £5 (£6 for new users) and give me lots of free calls, internet data and texts.

You might say you do not need them, but as someone similarly older, you will find those services very helpful if you have to deal with appointments like hospitals, doctors and dentists etc etc. let alone a lifeline when you are out of the house or driving etc.

As for emails with virgin, I also have .ntlword addresses, but as mentioned in this forum before, Virgins emails service is rather poor, so much so in the past that I moved to Gmail, and its not that difficult to steadily move everyone you know to your new Gmail addresses.

Setting up a gmail account may seem confusing but do keep trying, you can open more than one account , eg one for general online work like this forum and one for more secure matters like banking.

What you may also find easier than signing in to Gmails and Ntlmail all the time, is to use an email Client like Thunderbird
      Here you can set things up so all the mail , Gmail and Virgin accounts, are read and sent from Thunderbird without you having to type in the passwords each time.

Another way is to have your Ntlworld mails forwarded to your Gmail account/s so you will see them on your mobile Gmail.

It may all sound confusing but its will seem simple enough once you have done it.

Search on 'Gmail Setting up Accounts' and you will find lots of help such as this ytube -

Alternatively, if you are stuck , then one at a time, on one particular point, post its details here and we can hopefully help.

Used to help my 90+ year old mother get onto the PC, so no excuses ! :)

• Informative Informative x 1
      • shiney

Ratings:
        +118,510
        Yes, but she was young!!! :whistle: :lunapic 130165696578242 5:

• Like Like x 1
        • wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
          Ratings:
          +89,886
          Whats an email :scratch:I still write letters ,you know,"Envelopes and paper" @shiney you must remember them:heehee:

• Like Like x 1
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
            +7,685
            Dear Mike, I have diagnosed your condition, you are suffering of Old Age Attitude Problem. As a fellow sufferer, I can only offer you my sympathy and a cuppa. :redface:

But in general, computery things are brilliant. Learning a new thing is just as exiting now as it was when I was eight and was shown a "pocket calculator" which erased the need of the stick like thingy.

It has the same thrill as taking a mechanical alarm clock apart, trying to reassemble it and think "how on earth does this actually work?" (OK, got told off on that one. )

My best learning is to enjoy new things I've mastered, poking about what looks like fun, and reverting to The Teenager when it gets beyond my scope.

And when you have actually got a hang of something, the world is yours. I master a shared Excel file which I made to insult anyone trying to get over budget (conditional formatting). It's a pleasure to hear the Boss jump :cool:

• Like Like x 1
            • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
              Ratings:
              +30,616
              I do sympathise. At best, gmail is dismal but a lot of young people use it.

Here it is. Tell Him to send, to your computer, the email or else! Finally told one granddaughter the other day to just email to such and such (direct to my outlook inbox) or she takes a chance on not hearing back. I also make it clear that I answer all emails by 9 a.m. next the following day if received after 3 p.m. otherwise a same day response is likely.

Otherwise, call my landline if you really want to comunicate with me at this moment in time.

You lay out the rules for how you want to interact. Not him!

• Like Like x 1
              • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
                Ratings:
                +6,097
                Totally agree WOO. Jokingly my good friend. Letter writing includes all that you say, however my much respect 'wise one'. Letters now need posting and the average cost of a stamp....you know, those sticky things you put on the envelope, now cost over 50p...ten bob, half a pound, quid. So still jokingly, how come most honourable wise one. You always forget the stamp...... OK Mike Allen, enough is enough. Coat, hat exit stage left. All the best my friend.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
                • wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
                  Ratings:
                  +89,886
                  Good morning @Mike Allen yes my friend but a stamp doesn't stress you out,well worth the price for your peace of mind;):blue thumb:

• Like Like x 1
                  • shiney

Ratings:
                    +118,510
                    You're using the wrong stamps!

We use these:-
                    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1