1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Conifer hedge to boundary line

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by Gemsie009, Feb 26, 2022.

1. Gemsie009

Gemsie009 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, I'm hoping someone could help!

We moved into our property 5 years ago and our neighbour has a conifer hedge on their side but when we moved in it took up a lot of space as the previous owner never cut it back on our side. We, not knowing anything about hedges etc, cut it back to gain some of our garden back but this has since caused it to go mostly brown on our side, the neighbour has said it is still green on theirs.

I'm sick of looking at the ugly brown mess that it is so got a quote from some tree surgeons who confirmed it was pretty much dead our side and they can cut it right back to the chain mail fence boundary line so we can put up a fence to try and cover it. My concern is that I don't want it to cause damage to the neighbours side, which they have assured me it wouldn't. I'd just like to know that this is true? I don't want to upset the neighbours as they are good neighbours but I also want MY garden to look how I'd like it and unfortunately that conifer is ruining my dream garden.
    Many thanks for any advice!

Attached Files:

2. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,604
    Welcome Gemsie009. :)

Have your neighbours seen the conifers from your side?

The tree surgeon is right that the hedge is dying and unfortunately they don't produce new growth. It's only a matter of time before the same problem appears on your neighbours side. Even though it's their hedge I suggest you talk to them about replacing it with something else and possibly meeting them part way with the cost, if you feel inclined.

Conifers are hungry and thirsty plants that sap the soil of nutrients and water. If you were to put a fence in front of it, thinking perhaps you can grow plants your side, they probably wouldn't survive. If your neighbours are not willing to replace the hedge then my suggestion would be not to put a fence in front of it but a raised bed of up to 3ft in height. Plants of you own choice will then disguise the eyesore.

Some ideas for you on the link below.

raised bed images - Bing images

3. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,488
    Having worked with a lot of conifer 'hedges' I've found it depends on the type of conifer. If yours is Leylandii then the tree surgeons are correct - but it depends on where the chain mail fence is. If it's right next to the conifer trunks you will need to move your new fence, presumably wooden, some inches away as the trunks will thicken over time.

I agree with Sheal that the conifer leaches the goodness out of the soil so the best idea is to come to an agreement with the neighbour on the cost of removing the conifers completely and having the stumps removed or ground out. This would allow you to put up a fence and both of you could have good flower beds either side.

I removed 22 Leylandii on part of my boundary and had the stumps ground out. I then dug in lots of garden compost (luckily I have loads) and horse manure. Within two years I had a well growing flower bed and by three years it looked as though it had always been there. My neighbour just extended his lawn to the fence and that took immediately.

Good luck :blue thumb:

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +85,979
      I think you can cut it back to the trunks/stems on your side, I doubt it would kill the hedge on their side.

You might struggle to get fence posts in because of all the roots but if you get someone in to put the fence up that won't actually be your problem. :biggrin:

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1