1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Conifer roots length

Discussion in 'Trees' started by yooser 1, Jun 11, 2020.

?

Remove conifer ?

Poll closed Jul 9, 2020.
  1. Helpful

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Remove or cutback

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. yooser 1

yooser 1 Apprentice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hello,
    I'm concerned about the roots of my conifer damaging my drains because I discovered some very fine roots ( about 1/8" diameter and 2 feet long ) in the sewer under our Conifer roots email 1.jpg One of the tree roots.jpg One of the tree roots.jpg manhole cover. They were coming through the bottom of the brick lined walls of the sewer and from the direction of the conifer , the conifer being about 22 feet away from the sewer and the height of the conifer is about 15 plus feet.
    I have , I hope, attached a couple of photos which perhaps will help to explain the problem.
    Do you suggest that I get the conifer removed ? I know it seems a shame as we planted it about 30 plus years ago.
    Thanks in advance , Neale.

2. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,594
    I have experience of drain damage. A neighbours mature conifer hedge was just 10ft from mine and running parallel for 60ft. On inspection with a camera for this purpose the roots were breaking through all along the old clay pipework and into my house foundation. Conifers have surprisingly strong roots and in search of water will create damage. Modern pipes are synthetic so it's not a problem. As it was not my hedge I was able to claim on insurance. The insurance company said if repairs or replacement were needed again they would be seeking out my neighbours for any future claim. I spoke to my neighbours and they removed the hedge.

It may be worth your while having a drains inspection before making a decision. But as a mature conifer I would definitely consider removing it, any roots left behind will eventually die and rot down. I wouldn't plant any conifer within 40ft of drains or buildings because of the root spread.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
      Ratings:
      +6,097
      Sheal you are spot on. Casting our minds bact to the great storm of the late 1980's Many so magnificent trees fell victim. Me. I love trees. The Oak in all its spendour stands firm, but flexible. Fallen individuals so often displayed surprisingly shallow and compat root systems. Likewise other trees tended to be similar.

This IMO tended to agree, substatiate the idea that, what is above ground is also below. As a comparison. The spread of say, an oak tree tended to produce a relatively balanced root spread.

Returning to our friends, the conifers. Here we find ourselve in a bit of a quandary. Many of our, today's garden conifers are what can be termed, 'man made' So this mix/match breeding can and does to a degree, tend to change the plants, natural course.

I think we have to at some point return to what is a conifer? Consider all those nature programs. The wild North. Conifers originate from trees that are able to survive in the coldest and hardest temperat zones. Scientifically, whatever the above ground temperatures might be. These conifers always need water. Evn though, for instance in the frozen norths of the americas. The plant has to have. WATER. So that great tap root goes down anbd down. I often liken it to a parsnip.

So. Like an episode of Star Trek. These roots go on and and on. Throughout their journy and often their life time. They penetrate and absorb, like blotting paper all moisture.

So returning back to my location. A well built up area. Vacant land space. Perhaps better described soil space. Planting, growing conifers needs thinking about.

• Like Like x 1
      • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
        Ratings:
        +118,465
        It seems as though you are reluctant to remove the tree. In that case you can root prune it if you can get to the roots. The closer to the tree and the further from drains or house the better. Most conifer roots do not go deep, apart from the taproot that would not bother the drain anyway, so root pruning is possible.

This presupposes you can get to them and I'm not sure, from your picture, that you can. To root prune it just needs a narrow trench dug in the direction where you don't want the roots to spread. You'll see the roots as you dig down and can just chop them off all through the trench. Depending on how far from the drains and building you dig the trench governs how often you should do the pruning. As the feeder roots are only fine then the pruning is easy.

I don't know what you have under the gravel but if it's just soil then you can move the gravel, cut your trench and then replace the gravel. If it's on a solid base, remove the tree. :noidea:

• Like Like x 1
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • yooser 1

Retired
          Ratings:
          +2

• yooser 1

Retired
          Ratings:
          +2
          Thanks to everyone who has replied to my query, I will ,as suggested, have a look at the root travel in the direction of both the house and the sewer plus get a camera inspection of the pipework to be on the safe side.
          The gravel is on top of a weed membrane and soil therefore will be easy enough to remove and dig down and see what's what.
          At the moment I'm having to rest my back due to having strained it lifting paving slabs plus bags of cement and sand , my wife reckons it serves me right as I should know better at my age !!!
          I will post the results in due course , regards from Neale.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
          • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
            Ratings:
            +118,465
            She must have been talking to my wife! :hate-shocked: :loll:

• Funny Funny x 1