1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Contactless Payments - G Pay ?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by ricky101, Dec 20, 2020.

1. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,206
    Hi,

Think we have all ended up using Contactless Card payments with this years troubles.

We are getting a new Android phone soon that will have NFC so have been looking at G Pay as another payment method.

Would be interesting to know how others have got on with G Pay and if there are any pariticular things to be careful of , or even avoid ?

Something we have not been able to establish is if we purchased , say a can of paint from a local shop, does the G Pay record on the phone serve as proof of purchase from that shop, or do we still need to ask for paper till receipts or do they still give a paper receipt regardless ?

• Like Like x 1
    • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
      Ratings:
      +6,097
      Interesting point Rickey. This and many other new interventions are what come to mind, when I refer to modern technology. In all honesty, I don't know the answer. Being totally confused years ago. When cards were issued along with cheque books. I used to post off a cheque and write the card details on the back. Now as I often buy on-line, I use PayPal. To me, this keeps my details a bit more secure. Having said that. I think the government should take action against these scammers who email you saying that a payment couldn't be taken et, also the telephone cons.
      Fair do's, probably the banks etc will reimburse you if you become a victime, but at the end of the day, these crooks are getting away with it.

• Like Like x 1
      • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
        +100,836
        Not me, ricky,:dunno::nonofinger: I use a Debit Card at Shops and Pin number and Pay Pal on line. I'm all for technology but the contactless payments are, while convenient, more of an advantage to the Banks for several of their agreements/contracts with the Retailers.:cat-kittyandsmiley::coffee:

• Like Like x 1
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
          Ratings:
          +118,510
          In general, shop tills still print out, or offer to print out, receipts. Whether the G Pay system counts as a receipt, I have no idea. Not surprising since I haven't the faintest what G Pay is. :dunno:

I always used to pay cash where possible (worked in a mainly cash business) but when I retired I was able to negotiate with my credit card company for a cashback payment if I used the card. I would never use it contactless and had it set to not allow it. Things change and I now prefer contactless as there is 'no contact'. :) Most shops locally only want to take cards now and I prefer using a credit card to using a debit card as there is more legal protection.

The only shop locally that only takes cash is the fish and chip shop. Clever of them as most people don't really want to receive cash that could have been handled by anyone. So it's generally "keep the change". :whistle:

• Like Like x 2
          • Friendly Friendly x 1
          • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
            Ratings:
            +86,046
            Seen a few people paying using a mobile phone but mostly young people.
            How old are you @ricky101 :biggrin:

• Like Like x 2
            • Funny Funny x 2
            • ThePlantAssassin

ThePlantAssassin Gardener

NuttyFruitCake
              Ratings:
              +1,016
              Ha! I told you I was a bit (ok very) dim when it comes to tech. I don't even know what G PAY is! Nor have I heard of it. I've always been a cash user. That way if the money isn't in my purse then I know I haven't got it to spend. Got brave enough for Paypal eventually. I always avoided contactless coz I didn't trust it but this year I haven't had a choice. If I wanted something then it had to be contactless which on the up side was 'germ safe'. I only discovered my card had the contactless option in April and I'd had the card for 2yrs!

After taking my car for a run the other evening I decided to get fish and chips for the 1st time this year to help the local shops. They had all the screens in place. However the guy serving had no mask and no gloves! I asked why and he said it was ok because he had screens in place. I asked why he thought it was ok to breathe all over the food and wrapping he was going to serve me and he just shrugged. I turned round and walked out. Have to say beans on toast didn't quite hit the spot! I'm a bit nervous of takeaways and eating out being a germaphobe at the best of times but in these times I really had to psych myself up to go in. Never again sadly.

• Like Like x 1
              • Friendly Friendly x 1
              • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +4,206
                Yes, likewise, mainly the younger ones using it, though probably a lot more folk do in places like London where so much of the payment systems are automated that way.

Know a lot of folk on the forum are retired like us, but do try and keep up with some of todays tech in areas that could help us.
                Seems a mobile phone and these NFC payment apps are physially more secure when lost or stolen than a plastic card, contact less or not, and they keep a record of your payments, rather than ending up with a wallet stuffed full of till receipts.

Also thought it might be easier for using in car parking or tolls etc which also seems to be moving away from coins these days.

Seems you can use most credit or debit cards and even Paypal with Google Pay.

When we get our new Android phone can always give it a try, like a plastic card, its up to us how much or not, we use it.

• Like Like x 2
                • Friendly Friendly x 1
                • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +4,206
                  And they were the cooks who you could see !
                  Have to confess , takaways are off our menu these days, and being older, dining out is becoming more a thing of the past for the same reasons.

When you hear reports of the big names in restuarants being slammed by the food inspectors for bad hygiene, what chance all the others ?!

Cannot beat home cooking with fresh ingredients ! :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                  • pete

Retired
                    Ratings:
                    +86,046
                    I m going to look into this although I don't know if it would work on my phone.
                    Always worry about what happens if I lose my phone.
                    I know I could lose my wallet but this is just one more reason to have a phone at all times.
                    Even took it into the bathroom with me the other day in case I got stuck in the bath.

• Funny Funny x 3
                    • Like Like x 1
                    • pete

Retired
                      Ratings:
                      +86,046
                      Off Topic.
                      Can never understand why so many chefs have beards, stick a hat on their head and wander about with all the curly stuff around the face.

And even some of the male ones are as bad.;)

• Funny Funny x 5
                      • Friendly Friendly x 1
                      • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                        +4,206
                        There is lots of info on G Pay (for Android and now Apple) or Apples own Pay, or even Samsung Pay, out there on the web and Ytube as well as Googles own info pages and ytubes.
                        Nearly all the bank and card providers support them, just check with your own banks.
                        Ideally you need a phone with NFC cababilities.

While a plastic cards can be lost/stolen and quickly used, contactless, if activated or if they also stole your pin mumber, it takes time to stop them, relying on you contacting the card supplier to freeze the card.
                        With the phone , lost or stolen, the thief has to you unlock you phone, and if they cannot do that within three attempts, unlikely, the phone is 100% locked and only you or the phone provider can unlock it with lenghty special code informantion.
                        Also you can now remotely Wipe your phone, so rendering your information on it useless.

Expect it will all take a bit of learning and understanding, but hopefully we can get there to make things simpler and safer.

Just as we often feel when entering our pin number for a £45+ purchase you never know whos watching and looking to grab your card; though we think we may be, we are not as fast at noticing / reacting to such things these days.
                        We even avoid some cashpoints in town as their location make us feel unsafe.

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                        Ratings:
                        +118,510
                        It's to store their food.

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
                        • john558

john558 Total Gardener

Retired
                          Ratings:
                          +8,314

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
                          +46,176
                          I can't advise about G pay, never used it. I find my credit card quicker to pay contact less than people using their phones. They seem to take ages unlocking. I never collect receipts anyway, it's all recorded digitally as I am sure G Pay does.

Good point about being it being more secure though.

I would be concerned about my phone running out of power and being unable to pay. Smartphones have terribly short battery times.

• Agree Agree x 2
                          • Like Like x 1
                          • john558

john558 Total Gardener

Retired
                            Ratings:
                            +8,314
                            We get Fish and Chips delivered, put them on a plate and zap in the microwave for a couple of minutes. The bag, box and paper is left outside for a few days before touching it.

• Informative Informative x 2
                            • Like Like x 1
                            • Agree Agree x 1