1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Container Grown Clematis leaves discoloured

Discussion in 'Container Gardening' started by AdamBordman, Apr 12, 2020.

1. AdamBordman

AdamBordman Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi All,

First post here so hello first off.

I'm hoping to get some advice on a clematis Armandii, which is currently in a container.

Planted last year (2019) at the beginning on April, the plant was around 6ft tall at the time. It has been placed against a South facing wall and for the last year has been doing great. Grown lots, with several new shoots from the pot emerging and making their way up.

I have 3 others in separate pots and those have grown more but not offered any new shoots from the pot.

This one hasn't flowered particularly well, which I'm not overly concerned about but I've noticed in the last week a fair few brown and dried leaves, some of the stems have died completely and most concerning is that many of the leaves have a blackish spotting over them.

This clematis is in a well drained pot, is watered 2-3 times a week at the moment and has been feed twice this year with liquid seaweed. I drilled into the bottom of the plastic container to make sure it wasn't sat in water, the soil is moist and well drained.

Im in the Staffordshire Moorlands, around 1000ft above sea level so it does get a bit cold over winter (!) and a bit windy, so I get the odd brown tipped leaf from wind damage.

Suffered slightly from green aphids last autumn but they seem to have gone over the winter

This plant is due to have a raised bed built around it and the pot will then be removed but with the current situation in the UK finding building supplies is a little difficult so it won't be replanted till latter this year now.

Any suggestions on what I've done wrong?! It was doing really well until a few weeks back!. Some images attached.

Thanks in advance.

Adam
    IMG_4601.jpg IMG_4602.jpg IMG_4603.jpg IMG_4604.jpg IMG_4605.jpg IMG_4606.jpg

2. Janet mahay

Janet mahay Gardener

Ratings:
    +611
    Hi adam welcome i looked on the net as regards your plant that might help you
    1. How To Grow Clematis In Containers - Gardening - Learning ...
      www.learningwithexperts.com/gardening/blog/how...
      The best clematis to grow in containers in the small garden These are the newly developed varieties that only grow to 3-4ft (90-120cm. They flower most freely from late spring to early fall; sometimes resting in the heat of mid-summer.

2. Potted Clematis Plants - Can You Grow Clematis In Containers
      www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/vines/...
      Clematis planted in a container requires regular irrigation because potting soil dries quickly. Check the plant every day, especially during hot, dry weather. Soak the potting mix whenever the top 1 or 2 inches (3-5 cm.) feels dry. Fertilizer provides the nutrients Clematis needs to bloom throughout the season

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • AdamBordman

Ratings:
      +2
      Thanks for the Links, Janet.

I’ve read through them but I’m afraid they don’t address the issue with the leaves on this clematis.

Its been a healthy plant for the last year.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
        +100,836
        Hi Adam, for starters you have done nothing wrong! I have several varieties of Clematis Armandii and firstly you have to understand that it is an evergreen but that does not mean it keeps it's leaves:dunno: C. Armandii sheds leaves quite normally and they can turn part brown or fully brown and will sometimes hang without dropping giving a person unused to them the impression that the plant is dying!! So don't worry, Adam, there is nothing wrong with your Clematis Armandii, it is doing what it does naturally, shedding some leaves.:heehee:
        One of my Clematis Armandii is growing through through an Acer Briiliantissismum
        upload_2020-4-12_22-23-1.png

upload_2020-4-12_22-23-35.png

upload_2020-4-12_22-24-2.png

upload_2020-4-12_22-24-43.png

If I may offer some advice with regard to a Clematis Armandii, firstly, you will see that it is a really large and aggressively growing Clematis which can spread to around 25' to 35' or more in all directions so a container is probably not the best place for it as it has a really large spread of big roots unlike other Clematis. So, if you can find a place in the ground for the Clematis it might be happier there. It, in my opinion, one of the finest large Clematis around and the scent from it's flowers is exquisitely sweet and heavy and, although I now have around 177 Clematis in the garden, it is my favourite:love30:
        So the things to remember with Clematis Armandii is that it is a really large Clematis and trying to keep it within the bounds you might want will only spoil the plant. It is an evergreen with large, tough leaves but it is normal for some of the leaves to turn brown and either drop off or hang on, but a pair of Secateurs will solve that problem!! So, Adam, there is absolutely nothing wrong with your Clematis Armandii, it is quite normal for it's leaves to turn brown and die, while others will carry on. Come back to me if you need further advice.:cat-kittyandsmiley::coffee:

• Agree Agree x 2
        • Informative Informative x 1
        • AdamBordman

Ratings:
          +2
          Thanks ARMANDII, for your in-depth message.

I was most worried about the leaves with black spots, but if you think it'll be ok I'll continue to keep an eye on it and continue with regular watering.

It will be going in the ground later this year, fingers crossed!

The pictures of your clematis are fantastic, :wow:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
          • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
            +100,836
            It's a characteristic pf Clematis Armandii that initially worries many a new owner , Adam:dunno: let me/us know how you get on with it as once it's settled in the ground it will grow away at quite a rate and will flower for you next year if it doesn't this year.:cat-kittyandsmiley::coffee:

• Like Like x 1