1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Containers & Hanging baskets

Discussion in 'Container Gardening' started by Scotkat, Apr 17, 2008.

1. mztrouble

mztrouble Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Ooooooh - I like the hanging ball whatnots - they sound ace (and look it too). Think I have to investigate that!! I have a hanging basket with tomato plants in. And a hanging basket out the front with about 20 plants in - mesembryanthemums (sp?), trailing lobelia, a random trailing white flowering plant and 2 others that were dead cheap in the garden centre and no labels on but looked pretty!!! No idea how that one will work out, but seems very happy at the moment!!

I usually grow strawberries in hanging baskets but my strawberry plants for them are still TINY! Ooops!

2. pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
    "Black Country Wench" in Margam,Port Talbot,Wales
    Ratings:
    +4,445
    hi kath
    just browsing and saw these ball baskets,what a great idea ,to late for this year as my baskets have been done for some weeks ,but i shall snap up some baskets at wilkos and get them wired together ready for next year :thumb:

3. Scotkat

Scotkat Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +827
    Hi Pam and if you did not see my message re fuchsia thankyou once again ,do you have the name of the fuchsia you sent me.

How about planting winter pansy or alpines in a hanging ball for the Spring Pam.

4. lelly

lelly Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I am going to do the mesembryanthemums in a ball. been out to get my hanging baskets today and wire to put them together, just got to get the plant tomorrow from somewhere. Can't wait to see it in full bloom.

5. Scotkat

Scotkat Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +827
    Remember to plant your your moss time about with compost and flowers.

Did you get the smaller wire baskets as the earge opne is very heavy.

6. BekiMac

BekiMac Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hanging balls? that's a new one on me - what a really really clever idea!:thumb:

jan29, when I emptied our baskets at the end of last year I kept the fuschis and lysimachia Creeping Jenny and they're coming back this year.

I'm always disapointed with my hanging baskets, so this year I'm experimenting with different techniques. I'm using moss for the first time. They're going to be jam-packed with Nasturtiums (which I've grown from seed) and mesmesembrymanthemum Livingstone Daisies, and I'm also using limnanthes Poached Egg Plant. Mr Mac has put up an irrigation system which he's very proud of. So fingers crossed. :)

7. coub

coub Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Just joining this thread as I have been away this bank holiday,and I noticed nobody has mentioned what they use as compost I used to use just multi-purpose then I was told to try useing grow-bags and feeding with tomo once a week and let me tell one and all on this thread BOY does it work.[just a little tip I thought I would drop in],

8. Scotkat

Scotkat Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +827
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Starting to fill out now ,can so you start to see a difference?

9. Scotkat

Scotkat Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +827
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Before I plant up for our summer.

10. Scotkat

Scotkat Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +827
    How do you like these new containers ?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. BekiMac

BekiMac Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    coub, I have always used MPC too, but added some slow release fertilizer. I will seriously consider your tip, as I am going to be spending more time and money on my baskets this year in the hope of better results, thanks for sharing:thumb:

Does anyone else have any top tips for containers & baskets??

Scotkat, I love the red truck! What's going in that one? You should add it to the 'Strangest Container' thread

12. Scotkat

Scotkat Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +827
    Bekimac not sure yes but needs to be specatcular colour.
    This was a favourite played with when my son was a wee boy,my Dad made it for him.

And now a favourite with me to play with with flowers.

13. coub

coub Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    BekiMac please believe me it does work as the grow-bag has plenty of food to start them and tomo once a week is all thats needed to make your hanging basket twice maybe three times as good with all the plants bushing right up.

14. pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
    "Black Country Wench" in Margam,Port Talbot,Wales
    Ratings:
    +4,445
    hi kath
    can you take me step by step on what is in the centre of the ball besides sphagnum moss ,then i can get some and you obviously think livingstone daisies are best for the planting so i would go with those as my baskets would be in full sun from noon till sunset, so will get very warm

15. BekiMac

BekiMac Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Scotkat, Your Dad made it for your Son? That's great! I love the truck even more now! Post a pic later in the year when it's planted:)