1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Convert full height greenhouse to dwarf wall

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by TMAK, Jul 13, 2018.

1. zilly

zilly Gardener

Ratings:
    +577
    I don't know much about glass but my hubbie made me a greenhouse from a wooden structure that he made and used second hand double glazed patio doors could you look out for second hand windows?

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      You sound the same as us mate...we've been on this end since spring...finally done now though thank god [​IMG]

Well how you've done your own...when I lived at home my dad had a green house behind the shed so really it didn't have the blast of winds like some in the open more and his from top to bottom was proper glass in a metal frame....it looks alright though mate and as long as it serves it's purpose for what you want it for. :)

• Like Like x 2
      • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
        Ratings:
        +6,097
        Since the writing of many gardening books, times have changed and thankfully gardeners have come to think for themselves. For instance, horticultural glass is/was considered basically blemish free. The glass pane was presented as being totally flawless. It was of a thinner guage than standard window glass, I think horticultural glass is rated as being 24ounce, compared to standard window glass came in at 32ounce. The why's and wherefores centered around the final true light intencity the glass afforded to be allowed through. Science entered the forum and all manner of facts and figures were arrived at. Lots of facts and figures, that in all honesty, you and I failed to understand and in time, couldn't care less about. Be honest. Light bars, ultra violet values and loads more.
        So back to basics. You and I simply want a garden structure, loke a shed but with more windows. We want protection for our plants but something that allows maximum daylight. Notice I say, daylight.

So glass of whatever size weight etc, secondhand double glazed panels and yes, polycarbonate sheets.

Please stop and think about what you wish to grow. Study up and find out what your plants require. Basically they will require, sufficient daylight, plus protection.

• Like Like x 2
        • BigC

BigC Super Gardener

Ratings:
          +1,765
          Nowdays I would call it "Optiwhite" = expensive. :)

• Like Like x 1
          • TMAK

TMAK Tommy

Environmental analyst
            Ratings:
            +217
            After a lot of begging I got enough glass to do the whole greeenhouse. Then came the ripping apart double glazed units and cuts, broken panes, and a lot of swearing out loud. But I got there in the end ad did it without needing stitches.
            Thanks for all your help and advice

• Like Like x 2
            • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
              +0
              Hello TMAK, glad you was able to sort it in the end...a pic would be nice mate if possible :)

• Like Like x 1
              • TMAK

TMAK Tommy

Environmental analyst
                Ratings:
                +217
                Hi gail_68
                This is the finished article.

I managed to get it connected to my other greenhouse too so they function as 1.

It has a few watermelon plants growing away now. They needed an extra bit of room.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
                • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
                  +0
                  Hello Mate,
                  Cheers for adding the pic's...they look alright and you dropped on with the glass plus your added bonus is the two functioning as one...good thinking :thumbsup:….oh watermelons are lovely :)

• Vince

Vince Not so well known for it.

Retired
                  Ratings:
                  +3,499
                  I've got loads of greenhouse glass (awaiting me building the new greenhouse), I bought an old greenhouse on ebay for £50 then got given another for free!:)

• Friendly Friendly x 1