1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Cooked Prawn

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Sirius, Jul 13, 2017.

1. Sirius

Sirius Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,225
    Hope someone can help.

So I have a tropical fish tank with predatory fish.
    I buy chopped prawn from the aquatics store, but I realised that the same prawns from Tesco would probably be cheaper.

Went to get some yesterday.
    But when I got home I noticed the label said cooked

Seems raw to me though?
    Certainly not fried
    Is it boiled or steamed?

2. "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +31,885
    Raw if grey; cooked if pink.
    Precisely *how* they are cooked ... I'm not sure because all three (fried, steamed, boiled) would give the same pink colour.
    I would guess that they are steamed though as that would be a cheaper process for mass production.

3. ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,203
    Hi,

Simple answer, a cooked prawn is pink , an uncooked one is grey .

What type of fish do you have and what is its size approx ?

Often some fish will eat either.

What you have to be careful with if buying raw, uncooked prawns is your health safety as they can be a bit like raw chicken, so careful handling and storage is needed.

Assuming the prawns you buy from the aquatics shop are the blister packs ?
    They can be much handier and often irradiated by the manufacturer to make them safer to handle.

4. silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
    +8,083
    Wow your fish are spoilt being fed prawns. I can't add anything to the above and agree with M the ones you have bought will either have been poached or steamed. I have bought cooked prawns before and they were definitely not fried. I usually buy raw prawns and cook them in the oven personally.
    Just a thought but have you considered setting up a wormerey (not sure that that's right term) for your fish. Brother has fantastic topical fish and set up a wormerey years ago and it's still going strong. The worms are white and about an inch long. He feeds his on some hellish concoction which looks like lumpy custard:yikes: but the fish go bonkers for the worms and look extremely healthy. I would doubt it would cost much to get 1 going and the worms are housed in an old redundant fish tank with soil, I think in it.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Sirius

Sirius Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,225
      Thanks for the replies.

My concern with the prawns is that there is some sort of oil absorbed in the flesh. But if they are cooked in water by any method, that would be fine.

The fish are fresh water Stingrays. Disc size must be close to 30cm.
      They love earthworms, but between the 2 of them can eat up to 20 a day. A wormery for that volume isn't sustainable. And it was costing me a fortune to buy worms from a supplier.

• ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,203
      Rays are not a fish I have ever come across in the domestic environment, but seems they are not that hard to keep according to this guy at Wharf Aquatics.

Think you would be much better contacting someone like him for first hand advice and info on feeding and care of such creatures.

Though Aquaman45 is not local to you, think like most fishkeepers, he will be only be too happy to pass on some good advice by email etc , if your local shop is not helpful in that respect.

Freshwater Stingrays at Wharf Aquatics
      Your fish houses: Richard Hardwick

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Sirius

Sirius Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,225
        I went past Tesco yesterday and checked the ingredients
        No oil in the product

• miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +2,389
        Have you tried the prawns with shell bought at the fish stall?