1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Cordon Training of Sweet Peppers / Capsicums

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Kristen, Jul 6, 2014.

1. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    Does anyone do this? I've always let them just develop as a "bush", but on Beechgrove 19th June 2014 Jim was training his up a string [i.e. like an indeterminate Tomato] as a Cordon. The Factsheet 12 from the show says:

"Jim is also growing a range of sweet pepper plants under glass this year. These plants grow in a triangular shape, as if they are balancing on a point. When the plant produces a flower it also produces two shoots, resulting in this growth formation – it means that the plants can become top heavy.

Jim advised removing one shoot beside the flower so that only one remains. This will continue to grow like a cordon up a string and should be treated as such. The idea is to produce fewer but decent sized peppers.
    "

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,667
      • Like Like x 1
      • Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
        +12,322
        Until watching beechgrove I didn realise you could "cordon" peppers , but I have done with Aubergines so how daft am I , its the best gardening program on tv , but I wish they had picked another presenter rather than Chris Beardshaw as the pompous words he uses constantly in one sentence drives me crazy , would suit a "Mills and Boon" novel not a gardening program.

• Like Like x 1
        • Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
          Ratings:
          +3,699
          I saw that when broadcast too Kristen, but have continued to grow my peppers this year, like you, in a bush fashion. It's been a good year for peppers as I have had to remove about a dozen from two plants yesterday as they where pulling the plants over and trailing on the soil.

I'll wait and see how well Jim's plants do later on in another programme before trying that, something about taking flowers off that I don't like.

Steve...:)

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
          +12,667
          Agreed. Would be much better that they had employed a Scottish presenter, like the others, to keep the original style.

He was only taking off side shoots (ideally before they start to carry a flower), or have I mis-understood?

• Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
          Ratings:
          +3,699
          No have not missed anything Kristen, but to me, taking of the sideshoots is like removing fruits.

• Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
          Ratings:
          +3,699
          Here are a couple of shots of two of my four pepper plants this year, taken on 16th June. If I had of treated these plants as a cordon, I dont think I would have got so many fruits on these plants.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is the first harvest, collected yesterday from those same two plants 3 weeks later. All big fruits (large mug in photo for sense of scale), there are still 4 or 5 fruits left on each plant to continue growing, and flowers too.

[​IMG]

Now, if I had of grown them as a cordon, I doubt very much I would have had such a return from these plants.

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
          +12,667
          I did wonder about that. Jim said "They will produce more than enough for anyone" which to me sounded like "Not as many as if you didn't grow them Cordon" :) but I also wondered if you took one side shoot off, each time it branched, whether it would put more "top" on instead?

Only way to tell is to try some side-by-side :)

• Like Like x 1
          • Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
            +12,322

the plant will have a flower in the axil of the leaf and the new shoot just above the flower that needs to be taken off.

They picked a English presenter as soon as it was broadcast across the UK and not just in Scotland why is beyond me I would of preferred Toby Buckland or Alice Fowler who you see very little off.

• Agree Agree x 1
            • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
              Ratings:
              +86,077
              Must admit I myself have never grown peppers like this but I think it might be how its done commercially, I remember years ago someone telling me that pepper plants that are grown for supermarket produce usually are very tall.
              I think it will give you better quality peppers, but peppers, I find do need a longer growing season than toms, in general, and those of us without the head room just go for the bush effect.