1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Coriander

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Rab, Aug 15, 2005.

1. Rab

Rab Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone grow coriander? Tried it this year for first time and it keeps running to seed. Any tips?

2. dalbuie

dalbuie Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Rab, I grew corriander last year it also went to seed but I did get a good crop from it. It appeared again this year and was exactly the same a good crop then it went quite thick on the new stems then went to seed again hoping for the same next year .This is probably not much help! [​IMG]

3. Rab

Rab Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Haven't really had much time this year as I'm busy building concrete retaining walls in my garden to give me more level areas for my real pleasure which is vegetables. It would be good to be able to have a regular supply of coriander so I'll have to keep experimenting but I suppose I'll never be short of seeds anyway.

4. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    [​IMG] I use quite allot of coriander & I sow at 3 week intervals & harvest when 6" high for the leaves & leave some plants for seed. I grow in deep pots & keep moist. Have not had many run to seed, but it is a funny year. :confused:

[ 16. August 2005, 03:26 PM: Message edited by: Marley Farley ]

5. Ladybird

Ladybird Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Rab...nip tips at 5" and get them bushy....but save some seeds for next year.

Ladybird

6. birdy

birdy Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I also use a lot of corriander and sow every 3 weeks and use it before it goes to seed, also I use the same seed I use for cooking and it grows fine, never tried growing it out doors not where I live in the highlands of Perthshire the trees are already losing there leaves.

7. Hannah

Hannah Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Ah, the beauties of Perthshire... one day I'm going back... oops, gone off-topic there! Coriander. I sowed once this year and it's nice and big and leafy. I didn't know to sow regularly, but it seems happy, and very tasty with egg salad or curried chickpea salad!