1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Corona Virus Treatment

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by ricky101, Feb 10, 2020.

1. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,046
    Never heard of either of those, enlighten me.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +85,629
    • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
      At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
      Ratings:
      +49,472
      Tahir Ali is a Labour MP who attended a funeral/funeral celebration with approximately 100 mourners during lockdown - Up to 100 mourners including Labour MP ignore coronavirus lockdown | Daily Mail Online

Stephen Kinnock (MP) is the son of Neil Kinnock who chose to visit his father on his birthday - Police blast MP Stephen Kinnock for going to his father Neil's to celebrate ex-Labour leader's 78th | Daily Mail Online

There was at least one more that was quite high profile (from Wales if I remember correctly) - my point is that those who are/were screaming for Dominic Cummings head on a plate are the very same ones in many cases as those who would have turned a blind eye to these indiscretions.

• Like Like x 1
      • pete

Retired
        Ratings:
        +85,629
        We all know that most of the restrictions are being ignored, I admit I was a dismayed when I saw all that load of media people outside his place hanging around, but they didn't make the rules, but he was involved in making the rules.;)

So, although he has made it look like the rules allowed him to do what he did, the way the rules were laid out to the general public were a bit different, and they were pretty much saying that stay home at all costs.

He's in the right in what he did, sod the rules if its your family.

But he's in the wrong regarding following the rules.

And if you cant see properly driving to Barnard Castle is not going to change it.:roflol:

• Agree Agree x 1
        • Fat Controller

Public Transport
          Ratings:
          +49,472
          The inference is that Dominic Cummings did write the rules? He is the PM's adviser - his right hand man that makes things happen, but he didn't write the rules as far as I know. The other bloke who resigned recently because he was breaking the lockdown rules to have his ladyfriend visit to attend to his :ahem: needs - he was one of the ones who wrote the rules.

Besides, there is a marked difference between going to see your dad on his birthday, and taking your son and wife to a house adjacent to your parents and sister where your son could be looked after whilst you are ill?

Did Dominic Cummings make mistakes? Definitely, as he readily admitted - but when all is said and done, he was making those decisions somewhat 'on the hoof' - - I know without doubt that both my best and my worst decision have been made on the same basis, and I have made a ton of mistakes along the way.

He has been treated as though he were the PM, or as though he was an elected member holding public office - he is not. He is an employee. If one of my staff chose to do something that didn't sit with certain ideals or policies but did so in their private lives, would I be reasonable as an employer to dismiss them? No. What makes Dominic Cummings any different?

• Agree Agree x 1
          • pete

Retired
            Ratings:
            +85,629
            Well, I was glad he had a shave before he appeared, he was looking like Steptoes dad at one point, or even worse Jeremy Corbyn.:biggrin:

• Funny Funny x 2
            • pete

Retired
              Ratings:
              +85,629
              No Boris doesn't run the country, he is the Prime minister, the PM doesn't run the country and never has, its all those faceless people that lurk in the background.

Difference is, one is now in the spotlight.

• Like Like x 4
              • Fat Controller

Public Transport
                Ratings:
                +49,472
                His son is autistic, and that means that he cannot just be left with anyone - he needs to be left with someone he knows, and is comfortable with, and in a comfortable environment, hence he felt his only option was to travel to the family farm where his parents and sister were. Was it the right thing to do? Maybe, maybe not. Not once in his interview today did any journalist ask how his wife or child were (his son was carted off in an ambulance during all of this, and I can assure you they don't do that for no reason); at no point has there been any critical thinking involved - who did he meet, who has he infected, what are the actual ramifications of his actions; instead, the focus has been purely on ideals, might have done, possibly and so on. Meanwhile, we are expected to completely ignore the actions of Tahir Ali and Neil Kinnock amongst others because they are seemingly on the 'right side'?

Cummings may have had a part in writing the rules, and he believed/believes that he was operating within them even if he did. This is yet another weekend witchhunt by Labour and their media henchmen who do not seem to realise that a growing majority of people are utterly sick and tired of their nonsense.

• Like Like x 2
                • pete

Retired
                  Ratings:
                  +85,629
                  FC, he should just go, sod off into the wild blue yonder and only come back on "I'm a celebrity get me out of here"
                  He did what he thought was right, but he did what he was telling everyone else not to.

You cant do that in his position.

• Agree Agree x 2
                  • Like Like x 1
                  • Fat Controller

Public Transport
                    Ratings:
                    +49,472
                    What position is that though @pete? As I said, he is not an elected person, he is not holding public office. He is just an employee (albeit a very well paid and powerful one). Where does the line between work and personal life end? Are we not entitled to do things in our personal lives that our employers may not like or agree with?

@KFF by calling for the man's resignation whilst not calling for the resignation of others in higher office than his does appear as though we are being asked to ignore their behaviour whilst castiing him on the heap for his. Yes, us mere mortals cannot retreat in the way he did - but then is that at least in part because us mere mortals don't have parents with farms with multiple homes on them?

Each of the Tory MP's whom are against him are of course entitled to their views as individuals - however, this does not all boil down to opinions. Did he fall foul of his contract of employment? If so is it a sanctioning offence or a dismissable offence? As for the Labour or media advantage.... well for that you only have to watch BBC or Sky, as Labour and BBC seem to be one and the same most of the time.

• Like Like x 1
                    • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                      Ratings:
                      +118,299
                    • JWK

Ratings:
                      +46,046
                      Of course I have heard of Stephen Kinnock
                      the Welsh Windbag's son, not being pedantic about the spelling but that threw me, I have never heard of the other. Anyway both are Labour MPs so have no say on setting the rules. I am certain there will be many others, MPs or not, that have broken the rules, but the point is Cummings is the one who wrote the rules! This is sending out the wrong message to everyone. Boris is being very weak so now the general public who have up to now have done the British thing of pulling together and following the advice are seriously questioning those who set the rules. The next very British thing will be to rebel.

I just watched Cummings tell his side of the story, he had a few days to prepare and boy that was bad, the only thing that he got away with was his pants didn't suddenly burst into flames.

Cummings should just of paid the £50 fine said sorry and do the honourable thing. By hanging on the media are having a field day and they won't let it rest. Shame as there are more important things to get done.

• Like Like x 1
                      • Agree Agree x 1
                      • JWK

Ratings:
                        +46,046
                        There are many families with similar circumstances, we are shielding a vunerable family member and had made contingency plans on what to do if the bug came our way. It certainly didn't involve driving them half way round the country infecting other people in service stations on the way.

• Agree Agree x 3
                        • Like Like x 2
                        • Fat Controller

Public Transport
                          Ratings:
                          +49,472
                          Agreed in as much as others had made contingency plans - however, how many people did Dominic Cummings infect?

• Like Like x 1
                          • JWK

Ratings:
                            +46,046
                            Don't think we will ever know, hopefully none. I wouldn't wish this virus on anyone.

• Agree Agree x 4