1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Corona Virus Treatment

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by ricky101, Feb 10, 2020.

1. Purple Streaks

Purple Streaks Gardener

Ratings:
    +720
    Kevin and all, you are so right

The health visitors which visited after I'd had my first baby way back in the 70s gave me some advice. She said don't be afraid of your child getting mucky the children who are playing in the muck will build their immunities up to be strong and won't catch everything that's going round like a child who is wrapt in cotton wool.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
      Ratings:
      +21,323
      @clanless Thank you for the link; interesting. She comes across very well and makes her points clearly.
      My interpretation is slightly different, her groups initial work was in Africa in high mortality populations (not on Covid vaccines) have strengthening effects on the immune and has shown that live attenuated vaccines overall strengthen the immune system whilst vaccines containing dead virus had a negative effect especially in girls leading to later illness in women.
      She was adamant that she didn't have the data to comment on mRNA vaccines vs AZ approach and that these studies needed to be done. She said that the vaccine trials had stopped once they showed efficacy and her group would have wanted them to continue to collect data on all cause mortality.
      Until these studies are done I'm not going to worry. Her groups work is interesting and important and should receive funding.
      The AZ vaccine was also a different approach to traditional vaccines.
      Interestingly I did see that something like 17 Covid vaccines have now been licenced around the world with more in stage 3 trials; these include a number of different approaches which include dead virus, live attenuated virus, synthetic virus particles amongst others. I await the the long term study results (5 - 10 years) with interest.

• Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
      +7,666
      My friend's child has just tested positive and was yesterday considering if she can go to the Prom. The Prom is a huge thing for a young person, with months of preparation, dress, nails, hair and so on....

As a parent I was co-devastated with the loss but got quite angry when my friend said she left it to the child to decide if she can go.

My standpoint is that if you have a contagious disease, you do not attend a public gathering because you may spread the disease to others. And, as a parent, I would not leave it to a 16 years old person to decide.

Covid is no longer the killer thanks to the grown immunity via vacs and natural antibodies in the larger community, but it is still an infectious disease that can cause serious harm.

• Agree Agree x 7
      • Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Living in hope of world wide peace.
        Ratings:
        +54,374
        We had a call from the manager of the assisted living complex where we moved my brother to about a month ago today to say he tested positive this morning. At the moment it only seems to be him , he hasn't been anywhere apart from to his Dr's last weekend to get his 4th Covid Jab and to the Chiropodists...we can't understand. At first we wondered if the jab had caused the positive test but apparently they don't. The whole place is now in lockdown and my brother is confined to his apartment and as he can't eat in the restaurant his meals will be delivered to him.
        It will be keeping him in his apartment that may prove difficult as he likes to go for a little walk and meet up with his friends for coffee. He has Alzheimer's and can't retain info, so he will undoubtedly forget he's got it. :sad: It will be a tough week ahead for him as he just won't be able to grasp why all his routine will be different and why all his carers will be in full PPE. :sad:

• Friendly Friendly x 3
        • Informative Informative x 2
        • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
          +46,134
          My eldest granddaughter tested positive on Monday, I was shocked to find out she could still go to school if she felt well enough! She just had a sore throat so felt able to go. My daughter has kept her at home, but I think many parents will be sending their kids in regardless, no wonder numbers are rocketing again.

• Informative Informative x 3
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
            +21,763
            School guidance here is to keep them home although official rulez say they can go in. Don't know how that will be accounted for in attendance records though

• Agree Agree x 1
            • Informative Informative x 1
            • clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
              Ratings:
              +7,624
              I won't be having another jab.

Everyone aged 50 and over will be offered a Covid booster vaccine this autumn to top up their immunity and cut their risk of becoming severely ill.

• Clueless 1 v2

Clueless 1 v2 Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +2,522
              Covid is so rife now that there's little point isolating. I think the latest figure is 1 in 18 people have it. That makes it pretty hard to avoid. That doesn't mean we should recklessly go round spreading it, but I think the time has passed for hiding away. The latest studies also suggest you're most contagious just before you develop symptoms, which basically means you're spreading it about before you even know you've got it, so isolating after a positive test is closing the stable door after the horse has bolted.

I've just got over covid. It was horrible but I'm in the lucky majority that got through it without any serious issues. I deliberately avoided people as much as I could. I didn't visit my elderly parents, or anyone else for that matter, and sent the wife into the shops, but I did go out for short walks when I felt up to it

I think we're in the last big push now. Over the next few months I think everyone will have been exposed one way or another, and while new variants will mean that immunity will never be 100%, I think there will be enough immunity to finally consign it to history.

The frustrating thing is the vaccines are not effective against the current variants. Yet they're still being pushed despite the vaccine manufacturers having already said they can produce new ones for the current variants very quickly. I bet the autumn booster will still be for the now long gone original variant.

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
              Ratings:
              +85,917
              They need to use up the old stock before going on to the new one. :biggrin:
              So pump it into the old geezers as a booster this autumn.

It would be a shame to waste it, and think of all the political cafuffle if it was thrown away.

• Like Like x 3
              • john558

john558 Total Gardener

Retired
                Ratings:
                +8,295
                Us old geezers don't want the old stuff, anyway who are you calling an old geezer:old:

• Funny Funny x 2
                • pete

Retired
                  Ratings:
                  +85,917
                  Sorry, there is an old expression that fits this situation, listen carefully I shall say this only once, no that's not it, was looking at @noisette47 posts just now.

If the cap fits, wear it. :biggrin:

• Funny Funny x 3
                  • clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
                    Ratings:
                    +7,624
                    There are 'risks' - however small - in taking a new variant vaccine. I've probably had covid many times since lock down ended. The balance of benefit against risk has shifted for me.

This new booster campaign will be a massive waste of money. Now, flu jab - that's a different matter - the benefit/risk ratio has shifted to getting jabbed.

• Agree Agree x 1
                    • Michael Hewett

Michael Hewett Total Gardener

Retired
                      Ratings:
                      +18,151
                      I'm not having any more vaccines for covid. I was quite unwell after the two I've had and I still feel as if I can't breathe properly at times. I was fine before I had the vaccines.
                      I know someone who had a heart attack a few hours after the covid jab and another who's been having blood shot eyes and 'funny turns' after the jab, and she's still having them.
                      So it's a 'NO' from me.

And if the vaccines they're giving are for old variants there is no point in having them anyway.

• Like Like x 1
                      • Agree Agree x 1
                      • pete

Retired
                        Ratings:
                        +85,917
                        I've had a kind of tinnitus ever since I had my last booster, but not sure if it's connected or not.
                        I've not had any real reaction from any of the 3 jabs I have had.
                        I said I'd not bother having any more, but I want my knees sorted out, not sure but I think being fully jabbed is considered necessary to hospital admission.

• Jocko

Jocko Guided by my better half.

Retired engineer. Now Vice CEO of the garden.
                        Danderhall on southern edge of Edinburgh. Zone 8a.
                        Ratings:
                        +6,780
                        I have had three jabs, I had had no reaction to them, I know no one personally who has had a serious reaction to them, I have never had Covid, nor has my wife. I am looking forward to getting the fourth jab.

• Agree Agree x 2
                        • Like Like x 1