1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Cosmos seeds and planting!

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by kriss, Apr 8, 2018.

1. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,487
  2. martin-f

martin-f Plant Hardiness Zone 8b

Ratings:
    +10,302
    Ive planted mine direct, last year some grew from a bee and butterfly mix and all i did was sprinkle it on, i will have to see what happens with them if anything.

3. Verdun

Ratings:
    +17,487
    I find growing cosmos on in pots, potting on a couple of times more and pinching at least twice produces bushy, large and better self supporting cosmos plants. Removing flower buds whilst in pots is important too :)

For a mixture of fun and producing extra large and later flowering plants, I grow a few cosmos potting on into 3 or 5 litre pots pinching and disbudding all the time. Then plant out in mid August to produce 5 to 6' specimens that will flower right through to mid autumn.:snorky:

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • kriss

kriss Gardener

Ratings:
      +79
      So I have about 15 different cosmos plants as shown! When is the latest you plant more seeds? Is it getting too late now?

Attached Files:

• Verdun

Ratings:
      +17,487
      No Kriss. They will germinate fast now and make full size summer flowering plants :)

• Like Like x 1
      • Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
        Ratings:
        +10,944
        Hello, just wondering about some cosmos seeds I did in trays. They grew quite leggy whilst I was away for 4 days (had them in the conservatory to germinate). Today I've potted them on and plannted them much lower in the pot - like you do if tomato seedlings are leggy. Is this the right thing to do?

• Mark56

Mark56 Super Gardener

Ratings:
        +957
        I've done the same before Snorky, up until the first set of 'real leaves'

• Like Like x 2
        • Verdun

Ratings:
          +17,487
          Yep snorky it should be fine. I usually do something like that anyway
          Just keep on the dry side....cosmos hate getting too wet esp seedlings
          Also pinch tips when second pair lof leaves has formed and terminal shoot emerges. Mine have already been pinched back and I will repeat this at least 3 or 4 times more :)

• Like Like x 1
          • Informative Informative x 1
          • Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
            Ratings:
            +10,944
            Thanks both. Pleased it's ok as I didn't want to waste them. Also got some leggy zinnias so was going to do the same with those also :)

• Like Like x 1
            • redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
              Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
              Ratings:
              +10,523
              2 weeks ago, after soaking the seeds 24 hours, put moon flowers in soil in an egg carton. got 4 sprouting for me today. hope not too many more. but when I get back from holiday, have to figure out what I am going to get them to climb on, and in a more sunnier spot. such is my plight.

• Like Like x 1
              • kriss

kriss Gardener

Ratings:
                +79
                So my cosmos plants are all pretty big now, about 12 inches. Some are more bushy with thicker stems than others.

A couple had what looked to be a single bud in the centre which I instinctively pricked out!

Most plants are in their own containers, but one had about 10 plants. Can I now separate the 10 planter one? Or could I leave that to be an extr large, bushier shrub!

• Verdun

Ratings:
                +17,487
                Best to let cosmos form individual plants. They are potentially vigorous plants. So, yes, separate the 10 plants and pot up into individual pots Kriss:)

• Like Like x 1
                • redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
                  Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
                  Ratings:
                  +10,523
                  now I have 10 moon flowers. still have not transplanted to the long planter. but do have the trellis all fresh sprayed white and ready. thinking soon for them. they are about 5 inches tall, starting a third leaf. I do like cosmos, did not do them this year.

• kriss

kriss Gardener

Ratings:
                  +79
                  So some of my cosmos plants look amazing!!! All approx 1 foot tall but some incredibly bushy, others a little leggy based on the window cill they grew up on.

I’ve planted them out now and will watch them closely. I have noticed though that one or two have slightly burned copper tips at their extremities.... was this me being daft and water every day?

I’ve never watered the foliage during direct sunlight, but I may have watered their bases/pots midday. Is any watering a no no in heat? Even if it’s the base of the plant?

What’s went wrong?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
                • Verdun

Ratings:
                  +17,487
                  Ha ha, relax Kriss
                  Firstly, cosmos do not like being watered everyday....in fact I never water them once planted out. They flower better, and are more sturdy without being watered. In pots they are only watered when they look on the dry side.
                  Yes, prob slight damage is the sun. I would leave well alone now; They will soon outgrow those burnt bits
                  Difficult isnt it about watering? never a good idea in the bright sun of day but sometimes we have to. I planted out lettuce plants late am today and watered them in. If I left them until this evening they would have wilted for sure so common sense I think.
                  No problem watering the base of plants in sunshine ......the only downside is that they will dry out more quickly than if they were watered in the evening :)

• Like Like x 2