1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Covering seed trays?

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by Claire75, Mar 19, 2007.

1. Claire75

Claire75 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    This is a very newbie question!

I seem to remember that last time I was sowing seeds, most of them I covered and put in the airing cupboard to germinate, then brought them out and uncovered them as soon as they'd "sprouted". I think the seed packets instructed me to do this. I've noticed that most of the seed packets I have this year don't say anything about covering, keeping dark while germinating.

Is this something that has just gone out of fashion, or is it only required for some plants? Do you cover things? Is it mostly to stop the compost drying out, or is there another reason?

I'm sowing a variety of veg and flower (mostly hardy and half-hardy annual) seeds.

2. Blackthorn

Blackthorn Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Hi Claire75. Some seeds need dark to germinate, and some need light, so it depends on the type of seed.
    Good luck with your seeds [​IMG]

3. geoffhandley

geoffhandley Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Some seeds need light to germinate, some need to be covered by soil. However as you were putting them in the airing cupboard they will all be in darkness anyway. I cover a lot of trays to cut down on evaporation, but some things i grow don't like it too wet. A lot of things I grow are hardy so i just cover the seed with gravel, if they need covering, and leave them outside. Primulas have to be grown outside because they will only germinate if it is cool. They also need light to germinate and if it dries out they die. So I leave their seed trays outside and cover them with muslim -that cuts down evaporation and keeps them moist and cool but allows light to get through.

4. TG

TG Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Possibly down todays 'claim culture' it might mean if they don't indicate something they can't be blamed it if it doesn't work.