1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Crab apple choice

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Kayne, Jan 25, 2022.

1. Kayne

Kayne Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm trying to choose a crab apple for a small garden but have no idea as too much choice. Hoping I can get some advice here.

Specifically looking for a straight tree that can be walked under, with an overall height of about 15-20 feet.

I am looking for a flowering tpye, not bothered about fruit, but would like nice coverage going into autum and winter, and lastly looking for something that is a round umbrella type canopy.

Thanks

2. Janet mahay

Janet mahay Gardener

Ratings:
    +611
    Hi some crab apple tree take a while to mature but Some crab apple trees grow faster than others name a few

Butterball - for its beautiful large yellow speckled fruits.

Comtesse de Paris - for its bright yellow fruits, which stay on the tree well into autumn.

Jelly King - its large orange/red fruits are great for cooking with.. The white flowers are borne in profusion and provide an intense and long-lasting display in spring. The large autumn fruits are very pretty, and persist well into December.

Laura - useful because it stays small and columnar very good choice for a small garden, and for its bronze leaves and large crimson fruitlets (also good for jelly making).

Pink Glow - early flowering, and early fruiting. The large fruits are a lovely pink/red colour, and this is also a very hardy tree.

Red Sentinel - grows with an attractive balanced form, lots of white blossom and then a profusion of tiny scarlet persistent fruitlets. You can be fairly on until Christmas or even beyond, regardless of the weather, making it an attractive focal point for the garden as well as providing a useful food resource for birds

Profusion Improved - a good all-round crab-apple, with crimson pink blossom, and tiny dull red fruitlets which are very persistent

Also just wanted to say if you have a dog plant it away from dog as i read crabapples are toxic to dogs.but it mentioned only the seeds are considered toxic.
    Sorry i cannot be more helpful

3. Clare G

Clare G Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,731
    I have here in my small garden and am very pleased with Laura, mentioned above. Pretty flowers, leaves and fruits, the last of which also cook up well.

Laura is columnar, and grows to about 3 metres. I can't work out from your description quite what you are after, probably a larger variety - Golden Hornet is another attractive one, with fruits that stay on well into the winter. You will also need to prune to raise the canopy as the tree grows, if you want to walk under it in due course. Re the 'round umbrella type canopy' - the usual recommendation for fruit trees is to prune to a goblet - i.e. open up the centre so air can get through. Ideally you should be able to throw a hat through its branches! I know you're not bothered about fruit, but if you try and create a dense shape, you are more likely to get pests and diseases, e.g. woolly aphid.